Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard text replacement

Can I simply type the text I want replaced and have the text replaced without having to perform any extra step?

When I type text I want expanded, macOS displays a text suggestion pop-up that the user must interact with before the text actually expands (see images below).

I know I don't have to click on the suggestion and I can simply type spacebar to confirm but then it adds a space after the expanded space. I know I can also press the down arrow and then "enter" and no extra space is created however this creates two more keystrokes (down and enter).

See images:

(1) Pressing down arrow then enter (this means two more keystrokes):

(2) Pressing spacebar creates (this is one extra keystroke but adds a space after the text):

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 9:57 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Mar 3, 2023 1:05 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks, yes, that works, but I don’t want to continue typing because that necessarily adds a character after the expanded text.

For example, I often want to type my email address into a field but since I have to add a keystroke it means the field doesn’t recognize it as an email address unless I then type delete. There are many other instances where I don’t wave an extra space, character or punctuation after the expanded text.

Any solution here?

Mar 3, 2023 12:02 PM in response to DerekM87

Uh, yeah, I know.

My question is whether I can avoid any extra keystroke after typing the text to be expanded.

The TextExpander app works this way (ie. I type “brb” and it immediately transforms to “be right back”, whereas Mac’s native text replacement keyboard settings demands I add a keystroke or two (ie space then backspace (if I want to delete the space added by posting space at) or down and enter).

Please confirm whether there is a solution to my problem. Thanks

Mar 3, 2023 6:24 PM in response to emckillen

For example, I often want to type my email address into a field

I wonder why autofill isn’t working.

I don’t know of a way to make text replacement work without adding something. Otherwise, it would have no idea that was supposed to be replaced.

You might be able to create a shortcut that enters the email address with a keyboard shortcut.

Mar 6, 2023 8:57 AM in response to Barney-15E

I wonder why autofill isn’t working.

Autofill doesn't apply itself to various use cases where I must enter an email (i.e. entering email in a field for a password reset, spreadsheet cells, chat and text, etc.).

don’t know of a way to make text replacement work without adding something. Otherwise, it would have no idea that was supposed to be replaced.

TextExpander is a pretty old app and it allows this: e.g. I type " zz" (or whatever) and it automagically converts that to whatever the **** I want, no extra step involved. Bit surprised Apple hasn't implemented this.

You might be able to create a shortcut that enters the email address with a keyboard shortcut.

Yeah, that seems to be the best solution so far. Thank you!

Keyboard text replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.