Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot boot from bootable installer for macos ventura

hello, I found an article from Apple called, "Create a bootable installer for macOS", which walks you through the steps of creating a bootable USB to install macOS. You format as macOS Extended, run a sudo command in Terminal and allow macOS to create the bootable usb.

Upon boot, I hold OPTION, which shows the 'Install macOS Ventura' drive, which I click on. After it boots to it, it comes to a recovery-like page that says, "A software update is required to use this startup disk" - I then connect to the internet and click 'Update', but it fails. It states, "An error occurred installing the update. Try again or select another startup disk."

Any advice?

This is for this model:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2023 5:53 PM

So the only way to boot from USB is to make sure the current macOS is on the latest version? Seems to kind of defeat the purpose of wanting to install macOS from USB. Side question: Does it matter that I created the bootable media for Ventura on an M1 Macbook? I'd assume no, but just wanted to ask.

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 1, 2023 5:30 PM in response to janzalduaIT

janzalduaIT wrote:

hello, I found an article from Apple called, "Create a bootable installer for macOS", which walks you through the steps of creating a bootable USB to install macOS. You format as macOS Extended, run a sudo command in Terminal and allow macOS to create the bootable usb.

Upon boot, I hold OPTION, which shows the 'Install macOS Ventura' drive, which I click on. After it boots to it, it comes to a recovery-like page that says, "A software update is required to use this startup disk" -

I then connect to the internet and click 'Update', but it fails. It states, "An error occurred installing the update. Try again or select another startup disk."

Any advice?

This is for this model:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)

so what current macOS are you currently running...?

Mar 1, 2023 5:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

The MacBook is currently running on macOS Monterey 12.4 - Rather than going through the process manually, I wanted to just wipe it clean and go straight to Ventura from the bootable USB. I also tried booting into Internet Recovery (OPTION+COMMAND+R), but it doesn't show an option to install Ventura either. I even tried removing the security from the Startup Utility within Recovery (set to No Security & Allow External Media), but that still did not allow the USB to boot properly.

Mar 1, 2023 5:48 PM in response to janzalduaIT

janzalduaIT wrote:

The MacBook is currently running on macOS Monterey 12.4 - Rather than going through the process manually, I wanted to just wipe it clean and go straight to Ventura from the bootable USB. I also tried booting into Internet Recovery (OPTION+COMMAND+R), but it doesn't show an option to install Ventura either. I even tried removing the security from the Startup Utility within Recovery (set to No Security & Allow External Media), but that still did not allow the USB to boot properly.

The current stable release of  Monterey  including bug fixes 12.6.3

maybe that is your only hold up....

Mar 3, 2023 6:40 PM in response to janzalduaIT

janzalduaIT wrote:

I upgraded to macOS 12.6.3.. After that, I was able to boot to the USB. Although it prompted me to change the boot security settings to allow boot from external media. But at least it worked... As a side note, I did the same on an M1 MacBook and it didn't require me to change the boot security settings. Apparently that is only for Intel?

Good computing janzalduaIT !

Intel is different than M1/M2 SoC yes.

cannot boot from bootable installer for macos ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.