Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect a laptop to my newer Mac monitor?

How do I connect a regular laptop that has an hdmi output to a newer Mac monitor? All the adapters I see and cords go the opposite way Mac to another device

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 8:46 AM

IF you are attempting to use Target Display Mode please read Target Display Mode and you will see you are very likely out of luck. Please remember Macs are computers, they are not external displays for other devices. However, there are third party solutions you can try.If I were in your shoes, I would simply buy an external display for your laptop. You will find it:

• Less expensive as no expensive cables and software are needed.

• MUCH more reliable.

• Extremely simply to setup and maintain.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2023 8:46 AM in response to marcey149

IF you are attempting to use Target Display Mode please read Target Display Mode and you will see you are very likely out of luck. Please remember Macs are computers, they are not external displays for other devices. However, there are third party solutions you can try.If I were in your shoes, I would simply buy an external display for your laptop. You will find it:

• Less expensive as no expensive cables and software are needed.

• MUCH more reliable.

• Extremely simply to setup and maintain.

How do I connect a laptop to my newer Mac monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.