Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I release my iMac (2011) ethernet cable from my Airport Extreme? It seems locked in place.

I am trying to add an ethernet switch and/or change routers. My IMac's (2011) ethernet cable seems to be locked into the Airport Extreme. Other ethernet cables release easily, but not the one between the Extreme and my iMac. How do I release it? Thanks for any advice.

aggiefromny

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 9:51 AM

Typically, the RJ-45 Ethernet connector has a tang, which would be pressed down to disengage the connector for removal. Sometimes this tang can break off. However, more often than not, if they do, the connector would easily slip out. From what you posted, it sounds like either the connector was inserted incorrectly originally (obviously, that wouldn't be the case, if the connection was working before) or that it somehow got jammed in. The only time I have seen this was the result of a lightning strike that "fused" the plastic into the Ethernet jack of the device.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2023 9:51 AM in response to aggiefromny

Typically, the RJ-45 Ethernet connector has a tang, which would be pressed down to disengage the connector for removal. Sometimes this tang can break off. However, more often than not, if they do, the connector would easily slip out. From what you posted, it sounds like either the connector was inserted incorrectly originally (obviously, that wouldn't be the case, if the connection was working before) or that it somehow got jammed in. The only time I have seen this was the result of a lightning strike that "fused" the plastic into the Ethernet jack of the device.

How do I release my iMac (2011) ethernet cable from my Airport Extreme? It seems locked in place.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.