Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow to empty trash - even in safe mode

I have two users setup on my MacBook Pro M1 Max 14" running Ventura 13.2.1. For one of them (my usual user account), it can take between 10 and 40 seconds to display the contents of the trash can when I open it from the dock - even if it's empty. Emptying the trash usually takes 10 minutes, even for a single text file. I have tried removing all LaunchDaemons and LaunchAgents from /Library; I have tried Safe Mode. I have tried Disk Utility. I have tried CleanMyMac and MalwareBytes. I have tried removing all . files in my home. I have updated every piece of software on here (including Homebrew). The other user - a backup user - works fine. No problems opening or emptying trash, etc.

I've tried almost everything I can think of. Would prefer not to try turning FileVault off; would prefer not reformatting and reinstalling.

Any suggestions ?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 10:39 AM

Hi seekwul1,

You have done some great steps to resolve your issue. Since the issue still occurs in safe mode, then we'd recommend following the information listed here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support that states "If the issue continues while in safe mode, or your Mac restarts several times and then shuts down while starting up in safe mode, you should reinstall macOS and make sure that your Apple software and third-party apps are up to date."

If the issue still occurs after reinstalling, then please reach out to support for additional help here: Get Support

Best regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2023 10:39 AM in response to seekwul1

Hi seekwul1,

You have done some great steps to resolve your issue. Since the issue still occurs in safe mode, then we'd recommend following the information listed here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support that states "If the issue continues while in safe mode, or your Mac restarts several times and then shuts down while starting up in safe mode, you should reinstall macOS and make sure that your Apple software and third-party apps are up to date."

If the issue still occurs after reinstalling, then please reach out to support for additional help here: Get Support

Best regards.

Slow to empty trash - even in safe mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.