Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sign in - no access to 2F auth mobile number

I have a new phone. It's a pay as you go and at some point since setting up the 2 factor authentification on my old phone I have changed the number. My new device is not signed in. It will only let me sign in by sending the code to the old phone number. I tried logging in online and it will only allow me to sign in by sending a code to the old phone number. I have tried "forgot your password" (i know my password) and it wants to send a code to my old number. I have tried "https://iforgot.apple.com/" and it wants to send a code to my old number.

I can't sign in to change that number. I can't sign in to add a 2nd number to the account. I can't reset my password without sending a code to the old number.

I don't have access to the old number.

What can I do?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 11:47 AM

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Re-read the section: “Get a text or Phone call”

Step 1) “Click Didn't get a verification code” on the sign in screen

Step 2) Select one of your other pre-designated trusted numbers.

IF you don’t have another trusted device AND didn’t setup any additional trusted number(s)(as recommended by Apple) …

… proceed to the instructions in the last step: “If you still can't sign in”

I know it seems sorta difficult - and it IS … intentionally - but given the more stringent security and privacy safeguards now in-place; one needs to actively plan and prepare for HOW to recover a lost device BEFORE they loose it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2023 11:47 AM in response to vandergraph

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Re-read the section: “Get a text or Phone call”

Step 1) “Click Didn't get a verification code” on the sign in screen

Step 2) Select one of your other pre-designated trusted numbers.

IF you don’t have another trusted device AND didn’t setup any additional trusted number(s)(as recommended by Apple) …

… proceed to the instructions in the last step: “If you still can't sign in”

I know it seems sorta difficult - and it IS … intentionally - but given the more stringent security and privacy safeguards now in-place; one needs to actively plan and prepare for HOW to recover a lost device BEFORE they loose it.

Mar 3, 2023 6:10 AM in response to vandergraph

Do you have another Apple device using the same AppleID? (It can provide the code)

Additionally, you hopefully setup additional trusted number(s) to which you can send codes. (On the “code entry” screen, click “Didn’t receive code” and see if you have other options.)

Regardless, ALL of your possible options to receive a code are described here:

Can't sign in - no access to 2F auth mobile number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.