You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Docking station for Macbook Air M1 to extend triple display

Where can I find a best docking station for Macbook Air M1 that supports triple display without any issue? I don't see anything in Apple's website. My macOS version is Ventura13.2.1.

MacBook Air 13″, 13.2

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 9:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 3:43 PM

5102sri wrote:

Where can I find a best docking station for Macbook Air M1 that supports triple display without any issue? I don't see anything in Apple's website. My macOS version is Ventura13.2.1.

Just to add to the discussion, here is what Apple says about adding a dock:

Use one or more external displays with your Mac - Apple Support (English)

"For Mac computers with the Apple M1 Chip: You can connect a single external display to your Mac. Docks don’t increase the number of displays you can connect."

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 3, 2023 3:43 PM in response to 5102sri

5102sri wrote:

Just to add to the discussion, here is what Apple says about adding a dock:

Use one or more external displays with your Mac - Apple Support (English)

"For Mac computers with the Apple M1 Chip: You can connect a single external display to your Mac. Docks don’t increase the number of displays you can connect."

Mar 3, 2023 9:52 AM in response to 5102sri

The Air natively supports only one external display. I have no direct experience with these docks, but to use with more displays you need one that supports DisplayLink software.

I do have to ask, though: how are you planning to use these displays? Does the number 3 include the built-in display or do you want three external displays? And also, for that type of setup, perhaps you should consider an M2Pro mac mini.

Mar 3, 2023 11:40 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

BobTheFisherman wrote:

Adding a docking station does not increase the support of only one extyernal display. Docking stations allow physical connection of more than one display but the Mac port the docking station still only supports one display. Added displays reduce quality, speed, and performance.

That's true, unless the user installs additional third party "DisplayLink" software (assuming that the dock is supported by it).

However, I agree that this is most likely a bad idea. Some people claim that it works, but if I were to use a setup with multiple displays I'd also use a mac that natively supports it.

Mar 6, 2023 5:29 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you so much for your response. Actually, I had tested some of the docking stations I purchased from Amazon few days ago. Most of them worked for a while using the DisplayLink software. Some of those docking stations could extend displays into three or even four monitors. But, after few days later, those docking stations became very hot, slow and unresponsive to my keyboard after a few minutes of use, which was very frustrating, so I had to return all of them to Amazon. I wish Apple would make similar docking stations that could support Macbook air with M1 chips.

Mar 6, 2023 9:00 PM in response to 5102sri

You could get some StarTech DisplayLink dongles so that the heat would not be concentrated to a single box. You just need USB3 ports, which can be USB-C or the original USB-A ports, just match the StarTech dongle to the ports you have available.

As for Apple making a dock, that is unlikely, as there is such a robust market of dock vendors.

Also, Apple makes higher end Macs that can support up to 4 external monitors, and that would be Apple’s answer (M2 Max based Mac).

Mar 16, 2023 8:51 AM in response to 5102sri

Thank you all for your response and suggestions. I tested Plugable USB 3.0 docking station after some research and it works as expected on my two external monitors. I was able to extend the display. I even tested with Rybezen 2 Port Dual HDMI KVM Switch with my Windows laptop and Mac Air M1 and works like a charm. After testing several similar other products, I felt Plugable USB 3.0 is the best so far after using for a week. I hope this will help some other folks who are looking for similar solution.

Docking station for Macbook Air M1 to extend triple display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.