Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Pro - Very Poor GPS when navigating

Hi All,

I've been having consistent issues with my iPhone 11 Pro lately, specifically when using Google Maps or Apple Maps to navigate. The position of my location "hangs"/pauses for about 500m, before "refreshing" again, after which it will be fine for a while before it pauses again for about 500m. I've made so many u-turns over the past few months because of this, as it only refreshes after I've driven past a turn. Sometimes it will also think that I'm driving on a different road about 20m away from where I'm driving, which really confuses the navigation even more.

Today, while I was driving it waited over 1.9km before it "woke up" - I had already turned right into the street I needed to before it updated my location. I've attached a photo of my phone that my wife took with her iPhone 13, along with the GPS metadata - you can see my phone thinks that we're still 1.9km from Third avenue, but we're actually in Third Avenue.

I've recently moved to a new country, which makes this very problematic and dangerous when trying to navigate around a city I'm not familiar with. Has anyone else experienced this issue and managed to fix it? I've been in touch with Apple Support chat, and the only recommendation (other than everything else that I had tried) was to remove the cell phone cover, which hasn't helped. I've tried:

• Closing all other apps that might use GPS
  • Resetting location by erasing all content and settings
  • Ensuring that Precise Location is active for Google Maps and Apple Maps
  • Rebooting the phone

Some other notes

• Current OS: iOS 16.2 (20C65)
    • I'm updating to iOS 16.3.1 tonight in the hopes that this fixes the issue
  • Model Number: MWC22AH/A
  • I have an Apple Watch 7 paired to my phone while driving
  • I recently changed my Apple Store country due to relocating
  • Phone was purchased in 2020
  • I've only noticed this issue since relocating to my new country, but possibly because I seldom used navigation in my home country
  • What's also strange is that my iPhone 11 Pro doesn't show in the list of devices that I can link this post to, even though all the devices I'm signed into with my Apple ID should be visible.

Hope someone has been able to resolve this issue before, because it's a really poor product experience.

Thank you,

Brandon

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 1:01 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 4, 2023 1:06 AM in response to BBester83

BBester83 wrote:

I've been having consistent issues with my iPhone 11 Pro lately, specifically when using Google Maps or Apple Maps to navigate. The position of my location "hangs"/pauses for about 500m, before "refreshing" again, after which it will be fine for a while before it pauses again for about 500m.

The issue here is not the GPS but your cellular internet connectivity.

GPS will come into play when you start using offline maps downloaded to your device. That does not seem to be true as you have not mentioned it.

iPhone 11 Pro - Very Poor GPS when navigating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.