Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does the dark red bars in the iPhone battery graph mean?

I experienced a heavy battery drain last night with my iPhone 13 Pro Max. So I checked battery and found dark red bars out in the battery graph. I know the brighter(?) red bar means battery low.

What does the dark red bar mean in the 24h’s battery usage history graph?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 9:16 AM

1 reply

Mar 6, 2023 3:15 PM in response to Onikusama

Hey there Onikusama,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities!

We see your photo with the battery level and colors. These indicate the iPhone was charging or in use during that time, and includes the percentages and time.

We recommend looking over the details below to help with understanding the battery usage on your iPhone:

To see an overview of your battery level and activity for the last 24 hours and up to the last 10 days, go to Settings > Battery.

When you tap one of the time periods above the Activity graph (Last 24 Hours or Last [X] Days), you can see which apps contributed to your battery usage during that time period, and the proportion of battery used for the app.

To see how long each app was in use on screen (the dark blue bars) or in the background (the light blue bars), tap Show Activity. Under each app, you might see these usage types:

• Background Activity means that most of the app's battery usage — such as playing music or tracking location — happened while the app was in the background.
• No Cell Coverage and Low Signal means that your device was searching for a signal or being used with a low signal.
• Connected to Charger means the app was used only when your device was charging.

You can also see when your device was last connected to a charger and the last charge level. With iOS 16, you can see if charging paused because of Optimized Battery Charging, Clean Energy Charging, or temperature.

Continue here with this link for additional info: About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Take care!

What does the dark red bars in the iPhone battery graph mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.