Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blocked emails do not move to trash

Many, many people have this issue with Apple. What is the latest on how to fix this?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 6:35 PM

If you've blocked someone's email address on your Apple device, the emails from that address should automatically be moved to the "Blocked" or "Junk" folder. However, this behavior may depend on your specific email service provider and how you have configured your email settings.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try if blocked emails are not being moved to the trash or junk folder on your Apple device:

1. Check your email account settings: Make sure that your email account is set up correctly on your device and that the "Move to Junk" or "Move to Trash" option is enabled for blocked senders.
  2. Update your device software: Ensure that your device is running the latest version of its operating system and that all software updates are installed.
  3. Reset your email account settings: Sometimes, resetting your email account settings can help fix any issues you're experiencing. To do this, go to your device's settings, select "Passwords & Accounts," and then select your email account. From there, choose "Delete Account" and then re-add your email account.
  4. Contact your email service provider: If none of the above steps work, you may need to contact your email service provider for further assistance.

I hope this helps you resolve the issue with blocked emails not moving to the trash or junk folder on your Apple device.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2023 6:35 PM in response to Tc1666

If you've blocked someone's email address on your Apple device, the emails from that address should automatically be moved to the "Blocked" or "Junk" folder. However, this behavior may depend on your specific email service provider and how you have configured your email settings.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try if blocked emails are not being moved to the trash or junk folder on your Apple device:

1. Check your email account settings: Make sure that your email account is set up correctly on your device and that the "Move to Junk" or "Move to Trash" option is enabled for blocked senders.
  2. Update your device software: Ensure that your device is running the latest version of its operating system and that all software updates are installed.
  3. Reset your email account settings: Sometimes, resetting your email account settings can help fix any issues you're experiencing. To do this, go to your device's settings, select "Passwords & Accounts," and then select your email account. From there, choose "Delete Account" and then re-add your email account.
  4. Contact your email service provider: If none of the above steps work, you may need to contact your email service provider for further assistance.

I hope this helps you resolve the issue with blocked emails not moving to the trash or junk folder on your Apple device.

Apr 8, 2023 11:50 AM in response to anu_krishna

I'm having the same problem in Monterrey. In Mail Preferences, if you Enable Junk Mail Filtering, you only have three options for what to do with that message: mark it and leave it in the Inbox, move it to Junk, or custom actions. I'd like for one of the custom options to be to move it to Trash if the sender is blocked, but that's not an option. If I select move to Junk, the blocked email goes to the Junk folder and doesn't get deleted until I empty the Junk folder. I'd like blocked emails to never be seen. Any way to do that?

Apr 11, 2023 8:22 AM in response to Tc1666

I have my mail set so that Blocked emails are supposed to go directly to the Trash, but on my laptop they stay in the Junk folder instead of going directly to Trash. Supposedly Mail is supposed to learn what is Junk, but that hasn't really been my experience so I've had to start Blocking garbage.

I have found that if I open my Junk folder on my iPhone the previously Blocked emails will automatically go to the Trash, leaving only those that have not been previously Blocked (usually starts at around 50 emails and drops to single digits, so those are easy to mark as Blocked).

Since all of my devices are linked, when I open the mail on my laptop I don't have all of the Junk emails to deal with.

Does that make sense?

Blocked emails do not move to trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.