Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

should I keep my Mac book pro plugged in whenever possible?

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 9:32 AM

Leaving it plugged in will not overcharge the battery. Software lets the battery talk to the computer's power management system to prevent overcharging. Like a dog walking away from the food dish when he;s full.

Avoid running the battery to zero. I charge mine when the charge level is between 20 and 40 percent.

Some non-Apple battery sites recommend calibration. Apple stopped that recommendation about 2009. Calibration requires running the batter to zero, exactly what Apple warms against.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2023 9:32 AM in response to brettvonb

Leaving it plugged in will not overcharge the battery. Software lets the battery talk to the computer's power management system to prevent overcharging. Like a dog walking away from the food dish when he;s full.

Avoid running the battery to zero. I charge mine when the charge level is between 20 and 40 percent.

Some non-Apple battery sites recommend calibration. Apple stopped that recommendation about 2009. Calibration requires running the batter to zero, exactly what Apple warms against.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.