Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lightening to HDMI adapter no longer working

I have an official Apple lightening to HDMI adaptor (Apple branded) that I use to connect to my TV at my mountain country house where I have no internet/wifi. Prior to upgrading to iOS 16 on my 7th generation iPad it worked fine. Now I’m using 16.3.1 and it still doesn’t work. Forget about watching downloaded shows/movies, I don’t even see my iPad’s “homepage”.

I do get a blue “screen mirror” or maybe it’s the adapter icon on the top right corner. But no actual connection. I get an error message that firmware is required for the adapter but I don’t have wifi when I’m using the adapter and in any case, shouldn’t that have downloaded automatically when the iPad was connected to the internet before I got to the country house, like when I downloaded the shows/movies in the first place?

iPad

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 10:55 AM

You need to get the firmware prompt again. It won't download on its own once the prompt has been dismissed.

Try rebooting the iPad, and once it restarts, plug it into the adapter and a TV. It must detect the TV to prompt for the firmware update. It won't do so just by plugging the adapter in. click here ➜ Restart your iPad - Apple Support

I went through this same thing with my iPad. But once the firmware successfully downloaded, it worked just fine when away from Wi-Fi.

It's just a thing that needs to be done once. Sorry I was not clear.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2023 10:55 AM in response to Bob_Roberts

You need to get the firmware prompt again. It won't download on its own once the prompt has been dismissed.

Try rebooting the iPad, and once it restarts, plug it into the adapter and a TV. It must detect the TV to prompt for the firmware update. It won't do so just by plugging the adapter in. click here ➜ Restart your iPad - Apple Support

I went through this same thing with my iPad. But once the firmware successfully downloaded, it worked just fine when away from Wi-Fi.

It's just a thing that needs to be done once. Sorry I was not clear.

Mar 6, 2023 11:01 AM in response to Bob_Roberts

Some adapters require a firmware/software update for compatibility with a newer version of iOS/iPadOS. The update process is usually automatic - but the iPad must have an active internet connection while the Adapter is connected for the update.

You can check the current firmware version from settings. With your Lightning to Digital AV Adapter connected to your iPad:

Settings > General > About > Apple Digital AV Adapter

This may trigger a firmware update. If you are prompted to update, accept the prompt - and do not disconnect the adapter while the update is taking place.

When examining the settings page for the adapter, you will hopefully see this:

If the displayed information is correct, perform a forced restart of your iPad - then retest:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

You should note that when you are connecting your iPad to an external monitor/TV using HDMI, complete all connections before finally connecting the Digital AV Adapter’s pigtail connector to the iPad. The HDCP handshake with the connected monitor only occurs when the HDMI Adapter is connected to the iPad.

Mar 6, 2023 10:37 AM in response to Bob_Roberts

The firmware must be downloaded prior to trying to use the adapter without Wi-Fi.

You must be connected to Wi-Fi and wait a few moment for it to download and install.

It will not work, until the firmware is downloaded.

You can try to connect your iPad to your iPhone's personal Hot spot and see if that allows it to download the firmware.

Mar 6, 2023 10:43 AM in response to Bob_Roberts

That doesn’t work. First of all the iPad is connected to the internet all the time before I get to the country house but no firmware ever downloads. Second, if what you meant was that the adapter has to be plugged into the iPad while on wifi, I’m doing that right now while posting this reply, no firmware is downloading. Finally, if what’s required is 1) the iPad being connected to the internet; 2) the adapter being plugged into the iPad; and 3) the adapter being plugged into the hdmi cable connected to the tv - well then you didn’t describe it very clearly and if that’s the fix it kind of defeats the purpose of owning these type of adapters which are for use without wifi and internet…

Lightening to HDMI adapter no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.