Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location of library file for Music in Ventura

With iTunes, the library file was iTunes Library.itl, located in the iTunes folder.

With Music, the library file was Music Library.musiclibrary, located in the Music folder.

In Ventura, though, I am having trouble locating the library file. I have moved a large library from a Drobo device to another drive, and I'm attempting to rebuild the library. Until now, the easiest way has been to trash the library file and reimport the music, which would build a new library.

Trashing the library file in Ventura didn't do anything this time - when I opened Music, my file pointers persisted, though pointing to the old drive. Deleting the songs from Music (but not deleting the actual files) left me without songs listed in Music (a good start).

I've been importing my music, and when I close Music I get a message that Music is "Saving Music Library ..." However, I cannot find where that file is, and it does take a long time to save.

Anyone know where the new library file might be?

Mac mini, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 12:49 PM

Music may hold a cached copy of the database in a private location, e.g. to support a shared library even when Music isn't running. Use the Option-start-Music method to create a new library in a known location and then import your media again. If you want it to be at the default location of ~/Music/Music you need to move/rename any existing folder at that path first. The create a library method lets you chose a folder to save into, and the name of the folder that will be created there.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2023 12:49 PM in response to Stephen Epstein

Music may hold a cached copy of the database in a private location, e.g. to support a shared library even when Music isn't running. Use the Option-start-Music method to create a new library in a known location and then import your media again. If you want it to be at the default location of ~/Music/Music you need to move/rename any existing folder at that path first. The create a library method lets you chose a folder to save into, and the name of the folder that will be created there.

tt2

Mar 6, 2023 12:17 PM in response to Stephen Epstein

Did you empty the trash? On a Mac file pointers can retain a connection to a file when it is moved, renamed, or put in the trash. To ensure that you start with a blank library press and hold option as you launch Music and then use the Create Library option from the dialog that pops up. The typical location for the Music library is ~/Music and saved with the name Music so the library folder becomes ~/Music/Music and the database is ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary.

A better way to move a split library, where the database is in one location and the media is in another, is to select a new media folder under Music > Preferences > Files and then consolidate to the new path. This copies over all the files, updating the library as it goes, so that you don't lose non-tag information such as ratings, play counts, playlists, date added, etc. all of which are lost it you trash the library and reimport.

tt2

Mar 6, 2023 12:40 PM in response to turingtest2

Yes, I emptied the trash prior to starting, and unfortunately too late for the consolidate function - my Drobo drive was failing, so I copied and verified everything on the new disk prior to starting on this path. Lesson learned for the future.

My situation is similar to what you describe as a split library, though, with my files on a disk separate from the Music folder in my home folder. There is only so much space on the main hard drive of a MacMini ...

However, I still don't seem to have a Music Library file in the usual location (~/Music/Music). I checked the folder where I have the actual files on the external drive, and it's not there, either. I've used Path Finder to search the computer (includes all external drives) for the extension musiclibrary as well as the name "Music Library", and it's not seeing the file, either. Hence the question ...

Location of library file for Music in Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.