Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network settings is broken

My system:

M1 iMac

Ventura 13.2.1

I'm trying to investigate a DNS question, but when I go to Settings>Network>Ethernet, I always get the Apple error report. Settings>Network>WiFi, there is no problem.

I reinstalled Ventura through Recovery, but that didn't help. Apple Error reports;

Process: Network [1215]

Path: /System/Library/ExtensionKit/Extensions/Network.appex/Contents/MacOS/Network

Identifier: com.apple.Network-Settings.extension

Version: 1.0 (1)

Build Info: NetworkPref-515000000000000~119

Code Type: ARM-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [1]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2023-03-06 12:55:54.2564 -0800

OS Version: macOS 13.2.1 (22D68)

Report Version: 12

Anonymous UUID: 3A214B20-6534-A1B9-EAE0-EB3241BA5F32

-----------------

Process: Network [3636]

Path: /System/Library/ExtensionKit/Extensions/Network.appex/Contents/MacOS/Network

Identifier: com.apple.Network-Settings.extension

Version: 1.0 (1)

Build Info: NetworkPref-515000000000000~119

Code Type: ARM-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [1]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2023-03-06 00:12:42.4516 -0800

OS Version: macOS 13.2.1 (22D68)

Report Version: 12

Anonymous UUID: 3A214B20-6534-A1B9-EAE0-EB3241BA5F32

iMac 24″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2023 9:23 AM

Part 1 of 2

Q - Antivirus software: Apple and CleanMyMac

From the report and a mentioned by Contributor @ Luis Sequeira1

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprise the Operating System

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale. What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

Disk Cleaner 

This will include CleanMyMac , aka “ BrickMyMac “ TOP of the List

Read some of the posting and arrive at your own conclusions.

Part 2 of 2

Specific to CleanMyMac aka “ BrickMyMac “

The steps in #1 below is predicated on the Offending  Application has been Removed as per the Developers Specific Instruction 

# 1 Some Contributors suggest restarting in Recovery Mode and choosing to Reinstall the Operating System over  the existing installation. 

This may or may not replace elements of the Entire Operating System including the Home Folder ( User Account )  and replace any corrupted or removed elements of the Operating System and make thing right.

#2 - Then there are Other Contributors ( like myself ) would suggest  from this link Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon.

For Intel computer >> Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac followed by How to reinstall macOS

Thereafter to start from scratch and install all Required Application directly from the Apple Apps Store or Directly from the Developer.

If going this route - I suggest Not using Startup Assist to migrate things back as this will probably Re-Introduce the existing  issue that existed when the TM Backup was made 

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2023 9:23 AM in response to cutupguy

Part 1 of 2

Q - Antivirus software: Apple and CleanMyMac

From the report and a mentioned by Contributor @ Luis Sequeira1

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprise the Operating System

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale. What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

Disk Cleaner 

This will include CleanMyMac , aka “ BrickMyMac “ TOP of the List

Read some of the posting and arrive at your own conclusions.

Part 2 of 2

Specific to CleanMyMac aka “ BrickMyMac “

The steps in #1 below is predicated on the Offending  Application has been Removed as per the Developers Specific Instruction 

# 1 Some Contributors suggest restarting in Recovery Mode and choosing to Reinstall the Operating System over  the existing installation. 

This may or may not replace elements of the Entire Operating System including the Home Folder ( User Account )  and replace any corrupted or removed elements of the Operating System and make thing right.

#2 - Then there are Other Contributors ( like myself ) would suggest  from this link Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon.

For Intel computer >> Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac followed by How to reinstall macOS

Thereafter to start from scratch and install all Required Application directly from the Apple Apps Store or Directly from the Developer.

If going this route - I suggest Not using Startup Assist to migrate things back as this will probably Re-Introduce the existing  issue that existed when the TM Backup was made 

Mar 8, 2023 8:42 AM in response to cutupguy

Hello cutupguy, 

Thank you for posting to the Apple Support Communities. 

Click here for the suggested troubleshooting steps to try if you are noticing a connection issue with your Ethernet network: Troubleshoot an Ethernet device on Mac

If the network you are connecting to is one that you own or manage, please be sure to enable the suggested router and access point settings: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

It may also be helpful to test a new network location, and connecting while your Mac is in safe mode: 

Cheers! 

Network settings is broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.