Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flags not set yet some emails have Red flag

I have a Mac mini M1 chip with macOs Ventura 13.2.1.

I am having some emails set with a red flag when there are no rules set to flag any emails. I have been unable to find any information about this issue other than how to select single or multiple emails to flag/unflag, that is not the problem..

My problems is emails arriving and having a flag set when no rules are used to set flags.

Mac mini, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 12:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 1:44 AM

andytc wrote:

I am having some emails set with a red flag when there are no rules set to flag any emails. I have been unable to find any information about this issue other than how to select single or multiple emails to flag/unflag, that is not the problem..

My problems is emails arriving and having a flag set when no rules are used to set flags.

Q - " My problems is emails arriving and having a flag set when no rules are used to set flags. "

A - From whom are the e-mails with Red Flags arrive from ?

A - Example and from personal experience

A - Received 2 e-mail Monday. One from my Governmental Revenue Agency and from from my Bank

A -The first was to inform me that my Income Tax Assessment had be done and I could eew the Web Based Assessment on-line

A - The second was from Bank informing me, my Payment to the Government Income Agency had been made successful.

A - Both Senders had configure the sending of the e-mail as Important and the Red Flag was present upon receipt in my Inbox.

A- So in effect, there is no Rule involved in this specific setup and within the Mail Application to Auto Mark them as Flagged ( any colour )

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2023 1:44 AM in response to andytc

andytc wrote:

Q - " My problems is emails arriving and having a flag set when no rules are used to set flags. "

A - From whom are the e-mails with Red Flags arrive from ?

A - Example and from personal experience

A - Received 2 e-mail Monday. One from my Governmental Revenue Agency and from from my Bank

A -The first was to inform me that my Income Tax Assessment had be done and I could eew the Web Based Assessment on-line

A - The second was from Bank informing me, my Payment to the Government Income Agency had been made successful.

A - Both Senders had configure the sending of the e-mail as Important and the Red Flag was present upon receipt in my Inbox.

A- So in effect, there is no Rule involved in this specific setup and within the Mail Application to Auto Mark them as Flagged ( any colour )

Mar 7, 2023 2:32 AM in response to andytc

You are Welcome and Thank you too

Spammers are alway at least 1 or 2 step ahead of us 😔

Have you tried using the Block Sender filter build into Mail ?

To be honest - there are more effective methods but generally is good enough for my needs

A very good article from a well respected fellow Contributor could also be useful

links below

Block or unblock senders in Mail on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

The below will not cut down on Spam e-mails nor will it eliminate Spam e-mails.

Though, it may present some insights as to how exposed your e-mail address may be to Bad Actor Spammers.

E-mail addresses are Bought and Sold on the internet for various reasons including Sold to Spammers.

That is how they make their money.

I have done some testing on some personal e-mail addresses as well as on family members e-mail addresses 

Was floored by the results.

Some were exposed by Data Breaches from some will Known Software Developers and even from my Own ISP.

You can only mitigate your exposure in the future and deal wth this Spam as an “ After to Fact  “ situation

https://haveibeenpwned.com

https://www.malwarebytes.com/blog/news/2021/05/have-i-been-pwnd-what-is-it-and-what-to-do-when-you-are-pwned

Flags not set yet some emails have Red flag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.