Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop Siri from saying Mmhm

Is there any way to stop Siri from responding with” Mmhmm” when I say “Hey Siri?” I would prefer that she say “Yes, Alan?”

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 2:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 1:28 PM

You cannot change the response. However, you don't ever have to hear that particular one. The trick is to not leave a pause between "Hey, Siri...." and your request. If you simply say, "Hey, Siri, what time is it in Ulan Bator?", you won't hear the um hmm.

5 replies

Mar 8, 2023 6:40 AM in response to Hushai

Hushai wrote:

Are you THE Idris Seabright, the science fiction writer?? 😲

I wish I were but she died in 1995. I'm pleased you got the reference, though. I think she is less well known than she should be.

About your suggestion: yes, I know that not pausing after Hey Siri will avoid the Mmhm response. But, it’s surprising and disappointing that Apple programmers have not yet developed a version of Siri that can be trained to respond “Yes, Alan?” when activated by Hey Siri. Would it really be that hard to do? Come to think of it, though I have told Siri to call me Alan, and she has brightly agreed to do so, I don’t think she has ever actually done that.

When Siri was first introduced, processors on phones were not fast enough for you to say, "Hey, Siri, how long is the Golden Gate Bridge?". You had to wait for Siri to wake up. So, there was a tone. Now, however, with more powerful processors, there's no need for that pause. If you leave the pause, Apple has chosen to have Siri, after waiting a bit, say, "Um hmmm?". Personally, I think it's very funny. I am aware, though, that there are people who consider it rude, are offended by it or would simply like something else. That is not currently an option.

You can let Apple know what you'd like to see them implement here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Perhaps if enough people suggest a change, Apple will consider it.

Mar 7, 2023 5:11 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Are you THE Idris Seabright, the science fiction writer?? 😲

About your suggestion: yes, I know that not pausing after Hey Siri will avoid the Mmhm response. But, it’s surprising and disappointing that Apple programmers have not yet developed a version of Siri that can be trained to respond “Yes, Alan?” when activated by Hey Siri. Would it really be that hard to do? Come to think of it, though I have told Siri to call me Alan, and she has brightly agreed to do so, I don’t think she has ever actually done that.

Stop Siri from saying Mmhm

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.