Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Studio Max with Apple A1407 display

Hi, 

New Mac Studio Max (Monterey 12.6.3) > Apple Thunderbolt A1407 display worked fine for two days then on a fine Friday morning the display did not awake – luckily I did after some coffee. After a lot of tries checking TB 2 to 3 adapters (working with my UA Apollo Twin Mk II) Thunderbolt) and also connecting the display to an old MacBook Pro 2011. 

The A1407 did not show up on the System report. I’ll try the Display Link Manager next… any help or suggestions is much appreciated – as I’m on a really tight budget and getting the Mac Studio did not help… and btw the usb-ports on the display works, just tried charging my old iPhone..

Mac Studio, macOS 12.6

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 5:51 AM

You bypass the octopus (built in ) cable by connecting a TB2 cable to one of the TB ports on the display. The other end connect to the TB2 to TB3 adapter and connect to your Mac. You do not need to use the built in cable to use this display.

Similar questions

14 replies

Mar 16, 2023 2:51 AM in response to tbirdvet

Hi

@tbirdvet - I'm not a 100 % sure what you refer to? Are you suggesting that I connect a working Thunderbolt 1/2 cable on the back of the display (plus TB 2 <> TB 3 adapter) to the Mac Studio?

@hcsitas - I do have another monitor but would like to get the Apple display working if possible.... the extra usb-ports would help immensely...

Again thx to both of you for the suggested solutions and info... appreciated!

Mar 17, 2023 1:08 AM in response to tbirdvet

Hi

@tbirdvet - My bad, I've seen so many refer to iFixit.com so I only thought of opening up the display (something I just cannot do, I know my way around guitars and other instruments but displays, that's a no, no). So I tried connecting a TB cable and the TB 2 <> 3 adapter and hey presto - it seems to work now (touch wood)!

Thanks a million!

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to give info and your suggestions.

Cheers!

Mac Studio Max with Apple A1407 display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.