Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an iPhone 12 with an Apple Watch 2nd gen connected. Brought the exact watch for my husband , he has an iPhone 6 Plus and it wouldn’t connect so as mine was ok i opened family sharing and tried to pair his watch with my 12 but no joy help

Ok so i have the iPhone 12, (says Gwens 6 but 12 underneath) and a SE 2nd gen Apple Watch connected and working well. My husband has a 6s+ and the same SE 2nd gen Apple Watch and realised that it was too old after trying to connect them.

So. I opened family sharing and connected him in on my iPhone 12 and tried to connect his watch to it. It comes up with GPS + Cellular series 4 or later running OS 7.00. ? Just the question why can i connect my watch ok but not my husbands when they are exactly the same. Im not the brightest with tech but I’m trying help

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 12:53 PM

In order to connect you husbands watch using Family Setup (which is what I assume you mean), your carrier needs to support Family Setup for the watch and the watch must be be an Apple Watch Series 4 or later with cellular, or Apple Watch SE with cellular, with watchOS 7 or later version (not just a GPS-Only version). For more info, see the 'What you need' section in:

Set up Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support

Also see:

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

To answer your question, you can connect a GPS-Only watch to your iPhone for yourself, but to use Family Setup his watch needs to be a cellular version.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2023 12:53 PM in response to Buddle18

In order to connect you husbands watch using Family Setup (which is what I assume you mean), your carrier needs to support Family Setup for the watch and the watch must be be an Apple Watch Series 4 or later with cellular, or Apple Watch SE with cellular, with watchOS 7 or later version (not just a GPS-Only version). For more info, see the 'What you need' section in:

Set up Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support

Also see:

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

To answer your question, you can connect a GPS-Only watch to your iPhone for yourself, but to use Family Setup his watch needs to be a cellular version.

I have an iPhone 12 with an Apple Watch 2nd gen connected. Brought the exact watch for my husband , he has an iPhone 6 Plus and it wouldn’t connect so as mine was ok i opened family sharing and tried to pair his watch with my 12 but no joy help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.