Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade my iPad Air 2?

We have an iPad Air 2 at our store that we predominately use as a kiosk and register running IOS 14.8.1 and it serves it's purpose just fine, although from time to time, the iPad nags up to update it to IOS 16 and I'm wondering if that's a good idea.

Again, this is primarily used as a Square register, but we also use Appointments scheduling, employee time clock, and Safari, Messages and Notes from time to time. From what I've read, upgrading to IOS 16 will give me an initial speed boost, as it clears out a lot of caches, but as they repopulate it will become snal slow. Is there any truth to that?

iPad Air 2

Posted on Mar 8, 2023 8:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 12:47 AM

If your iPad is showing a message that you need to upgrade to a higher version of iPad OS, then by all means do it, it brings a lot of security updates and keeps your device and data safe, even if it's just used in a kiosk.

I don't think it'll slow down the performance to be honest. and as a cyber security professional, I always keep all my devices up to date no matter what.

iPad OS 16 is compatible with iPad Air 3 and later, so probably you don't have iPad air 2.

iPadOS 16 - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 9, 2023 12:47 AM in response to rick268

If your iPad is showing a message that you need to upgrade to a higher version of iPad OS, then by all means do it, it brings a lot of security updates and keeps your device and data safe, even if it's just used in a kiosk.

I don't think it'll slow down the performance to be honest. and as a cyber security professional, I always keep all my devices up to date no matter what.

iPad OS 16 is compatible with iPad Air 3 and later, so probably you don't have iPad air 2.

iPadOS 16 - Apple

Mar 9, 2023 3:43 AM in response to rick268

In being prompted to update to iPadOS16, you don’t have an iPad Air2. The Air2 is only capable of update to iPadOS15 - the most recent version being iPadOS 15.7.3.

As your iPad has an direct internet connection, you are strongly advised to update from iPadOS 14.8.1 - as the current supported version of iPadOS includes essential security updates. Until updated, your iPad is exposed to avoidable security vulnerabilities and exploits. The only argument against updating your device is compatibility with a business-critical App that is known to be incompatible with iPadOS16.x; this doesn’t apply to your Square PoS App.

Given that your iPad is capable of update to a more recent version of iOS/iPadOS than is currently installed, these support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

Be aware that while an iPad may be capable of update, in some circumstances you may need to use a computer to perform the update. To do so, you will need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS). Ensure that your installed version of iTunes has been updated to the most recent version; the essential device drivers are included.

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

If you have a beta profile installed, ensure this has been removed from your iPad - as, otherwise, installation of production software updates may be inhibited. This support page provides the necessary information to remove the beta from your iPad:

How to uninstall iOS beta software - Apple Support

You should note that for your iPad to install an available update, its battery must be charged to at least 50% capacity - and/or be connected to its Power Adapter. Similarly, the iPad can only be updated over a standard WiFi connection - or be updated by a PC or Mac using iTunes or Finder - over a USB connection.

Should I upgrade my iPad Air 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.