Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restrict WiFi from certain Apps (in order to save data on expensive airplane data packages)?

I can not find a way to restrict WiFi access from certain Apps

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 1:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 4:08 AM

Apps use Wi-Fi only when opened. Disable all background refresh.

In an Airplane when you buy Wi-Fi packages it is for certain hours or for the whole flight time. It is never on a data consumption basis. At least I have not come across data-based packages on my international flights.

8 replies

Mar 9, 2023 3:37 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Dear Giulio,

Thank you for your help. Could you please show me how I could (as an example) restrict the App 'AppStore' from using WiFi using 'Screentime'?

Unfortunately, I could not find any explanation on how to achieve this in the link you provided. Also I was unable to achieve it by playing around with settings within 'Screentime'.

Thank you

Mar 9, 2023 4:43 AM in response to SravanKrA

If it is guaranteed that there is NO data connection whatsoever for unopened apps when background refresh is disabled, then your solution would be a workaround to deal with the problem/situation (not really the solution, as it would be better, if the user could simply control the device as needed).

In the airplanes where I was offered a data connection though WiFi, I only had a choice of data packages such as 10MB, 100MB and 1GB. Obviously at horrendous prices.

Thank you, SravanKrA

How to restrict WiFi from certain Apps (in order to save data on expensive airplane data packages)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.