Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My time machine backup isn't working. When I open Airport Utility, I see an error message that "Internal disk needs repair." Is this referring to the disk in the Time Machine? Everything else in iMac seems fine.

My time machine backup isn't working. When I open Airport Utility, I see an error message that "Internal disk needs repair." Is this referring to the disk in the Time Machine? Everything else in iMac seems fine.

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 12:01 PM

I believe you are asking about the hard drive in a Time Capsule......(since Time Machine is software on your Mac that is used to back up the data on the Mac).

Unfortunately, the word "repair" here means that the hard drive has failed. Apple will not provide any help in this regard, but a local shop might be able to replace the hard drive for you with another new drive. Cost of the replacement hard drive and labor will be in the $250-300 range in most cases.

Now, if the Time Capsule is 6-7 years old.......the power supply inside the Time Capsule is also about at the point where it can fail at any time, so it would not make much sense to replace the hard drive in this case unless you also have the internal power supply replaced as well. That will move the estimated cost of repairs up to $350 or higher.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2023 12:01 PM in response to DAD59

I believe you are asking about the hard drive in a Time Capsule......(since Time Machine is software on your Mac that is used to back up the data on the Mac).

Unfortunately, the word "repair" here means that the hard drive has failed. Apple will not provide any help in this regard, but a local shop might be able to replace the hard drive for you with another new drive. Cost of the replacement hard drive and labor will be in the $250-300 range in most cases.

Now, if the Time Capsule is 6-7 years old.......the power supply inside the Time Capsule is also about at the point where it can fail at any time, so it would not make much sense to replace the hard drive in this case unless you also have the internal power supply replaced as well. That will move the estimated cost of repairs up to $350 or higher.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.