Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do links from outside Safari open in new windows when I'm in a Tab Group?

When I have a Tab Group focused and click on a link outside Safari (ex. in Slack), it opens in a new window instead of as a tab in the existing window. This is only an issue when I'm in a tab group.

If I'm in the ungrouped tabs I have open and click an external link, it opens in that existing window as expected. Links within Safari also work as expected (i.e. cmd+click opens in a new tab within whatever Group I'm in).

Is there any way to force links from outside Safari to open as ungrouped tabs in the existing window? I keep realizing I have like four Safari windows open after clicking multiple links from Slack, email etc.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 2:13 PM

Hi Michelle. This doesn't help unfortunately. My settings are correct, and work fine when I don't have a Tab Group selected. I don't have any malware – it's a work managed computer with security checks in place. I've also observed the behavior on multiple computers.

To make sure the problem is being understood, here's steps to reproduce:

1. Open Safari
  2. Create a tab group
  3. Focus that tab group
  4. Click a link in another application

Expected: The link would open in a new tab in the same window (either within the selected group or as an ungrouped tab).

Actual behavior: The link opens in a new Safari window.

As stated in my initial message, links from other applications open in the same window (as expected) when I have ungrouped tabs focused.

From your response, I'm feeling like this might be expected behavior instead of a bug. Can your confirm?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2023 2:13 PM in response to Miche11e_P

Hi Michelle. This doesn't help unfortunately. My settings are correct, and work fine when I don't have a Tab Group selected. I don't have any malware – it's a work managed computer with security checks in place. I've also observed the behavior on multiple computers.

To make sure the problem is being understood, here's steps to reproduce:

1. Open Safari
  2. Create a tab group
  3. Focus that tab group
  4. Click a link in another application

Expected: The link would open in a new tab in the same window (either within the selected group or as an ungrouped tab).

Actual behavior: The link opens in a new Safari window.

As stated in my initial message, links from other applications open in the same window (as expected) when I have ungrouped tabs focused.

From your response, I'm feeling like this might be expected behavior instead of a bug. Can your confirm?

Mar 10, 2023 1:23 PM in response to jolsen802

Hi jolsen802,

Thanks for contacting Apple Support Communities!

We understand that links are opening in separate windows, and you'd like to keep them all within a single tab, correct?

Your Safari Settings or installed software may be the culprit of Safari opening in windows, rather than tabs.

Check out this resource which will show you what to check: Control which windows Safari reopens on Mac - Apple Support

"If Safari keeps reopening other windows

After checking your settings, if Safari keeps reopening one or more unwanted windows or tabs, or keeps changing the search engine, a phishing site may have tricked you into installing unknown or suspicious software. If you think you might have malware or adware on your Mac:

• Update macOS on your Mac. If it's already up to date, restart your Mac. macOS includes a built-in tool that removes known malware when you restart.
  • Remove any unknown or suspicious apps and Safari extensions.
  • Learn how to block pop-up ads and windows.
  • Remove any unknown or suspicious system configuration profiles, even if the profile doesn't seem related to the unwanted windows. However, if your Mac belongs to a school or other organization, check with its system administrator before removing a necessary profile. 
    • macOS Ventura 13 or later: Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click Privacy & Security in the sidebar, then scroll down and click Profiles on the right. To remove a profile, select it and click the remove button (–) below the list of profiles, then restart your Mac. 
    • Earlier versions of macOS: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Profiles. To remove a profile, select it and click the remove button (–) below the list of profiles, then restart your Mac. "

We hope this helps you.

Cheers!

Why do links from outside Safari open in new windows when I'm in a Tab Group?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.