Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

HomePods will no longer take Siri requests for Apple Music

Not long ago, my four HomePods stopped responding to Siri requests for music.

I subscribe to iTunes Match/iCloud Music Library and this is working just fine, synchronising music between all my devices instantaneously.

Siri plays music just fine on all my other devices… I can even use Siri to make a request on my iPhone, “Play track x,y,z in the office” and it will start playing from my iCloud Music Library from my iPhone, via AirPlay, to the Office-based HomePod.

But every time I make a request (any music request) directly to the HomePod, I get the “Sorry, I couldn't find x,y,z in your Apple Music Library.

I have reset HomePods. Unpaired and re-paired HomePods, and it makes no difference. All the HomePods are on the latest Software Update (as are my iPhone/iPad).

The sticking point seems to be with the “HomePod Account” settings. When I sign out of this account and attempt to sign back in with the Apple ID that I use for iTunes Match/media purchases, it won't let me. I get an error message that says “Could not complete operation” … and that's that.

I have tried logging in to the same HomePod from different devices, same error. And every other HomePod that I log out of with my Apple Music Apple ID also will not let me log back in, whether I try using the Home.app on iPhone, iPad or macOS.

Ironically I can login to the HomePod using a different Apple ID (the one that I use for iCloud syncing in general) but that has no media associated with it, and maybe not surprisingly I still get the same “I could't find that in your Apple Music Library” response from the HomePod.

It's only the Apple ID that actually plays the music that won't log in to the HomePods!

Very bizarre behaviour and renders my HomePod speakers useless for streaming music.

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 1:06 PM

Ok, so I found a fix for this - one that I'm sure didn't work before, but all of a sudden it does now.

If you hard reset the HomePod by unplugging it for 15 seconds then keeping your finger on the top as it boots up (red spinning circle, then eventually 3 beeps), when you set it up afresh, one of the options is to transfer your settings… including the account you're logged into for Apple Music/iTunes Match.

This bypasses the need to log the HomePod itself into your music account (which, as of today, still wasn't working for me, as in the original post).

Since I reset them all and transferred my settings, all the HomePods are working perfectly.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2023 1:06 PM in response to drfrot

Ok, so I found a fix for this - one that I'm sure didn't work before, but all of a sudden it does now.

If you hard reset the HomePod by unplugging it for 15 seconds then keeping your finger on the top as it boots up (red spinning circle, then eventually 3 beeps), when you set it up afresh, one of the options is to transfer your settings… including the account you're logged into for Apple Music/iTunes Match.

This bypasses the need to log the HomePod itself into your music account (which, as of today, still wasn't working for me, as in the original post).

Since I reset them all and transferred my settings, all the HomePods are working perfectly.

Mar 10, 2023 10:37 AM in response to turingtest2

Oh dear, something they're working on, I hope.

So switching off voice recognition for both my wife and myself (such that when I ask HomePod, “Who am I?” it doesn't know) means that now, when I make a Siri music request directly to the HomePod (with ”Primary User” set to be me, not the HomePod account that's now signed out), Siri replies, “There's an issue with the music accounts in your home. To resolve this everyone should check that their accounts are up to date in the Home app.”

And we're back to square one 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 10, 2023 10:52 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes, so that's where the process is falling down. Once I've signed out, I can't sign back in again, getting the error in the screenshot I posted above.

There's nothing wrong with that Apple ID. I can sign in with it elsewhere in the Apple ecosystem, including to play music on my iPhone & iPad.

It's something specific to HomePod.

Guess I'm going to spend some time on the phone to Apple Support.

Mar 22, 2023 6:13 PM in response to drfrot

I had the same problem with all of my homepods as the author, except I was getting a previously unheard Siri response: "There's an issue with the music accounts in your home. To resolve this everyone should check that their accounts are up to date in the home app."

I had done all the same resets, had up-to-date OS on all devices, etc. After an hour with 1st and 2nd tier Apple support, they had me remove my spouse's account from Home, leaving my Apple ID only. Of all things, this worked.

HomePods will no longer take Siri requests for Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.