Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new battery installed on older MacBook Pro

how to calibrate newly installed battery on late 2011 MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 11:58 AM

Typically you charge the battery to 100% and leave the charger connected for some hours. Then disconnect the charger and use the laptop until it powers off (hibernates) when the charge drops too low. The reconnect the charger and charge to 100% again. I'm not sure if this is repeated a second time or if one time is sufficient. This procedure was only ever suggested when installing a third party Lithium-ion battery....and maybe back in the days before Lithium-ion batteries for even Apple's own OEM batteries.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2023 11:58 AM in response to bettyfromst. george

Typically you charge the battery to 100% and leave the charger connected for some hours. Then disconnect the charger and use the laptop until it powers off (hibernates) when the charge drops too low. The reconnect the charger and charge to 100% again. I'm not sure if this is repeated a second time or if one time is sufficient. This procedure was only ever suggested when installing a third party Lithium-ion battery....and maybe back in the days before Lithium-ion batteries for even Apple's own OEM batteries.

Mar 11, 2023 5:31 PM in response to HWTech

To HWTech,

Your suggestion worked. I was getting confusing responses that calibration wasn't necessary. The battery charge would say 34% but my Mac would just shut off. When I plugged in the Mag Safe, it showed 0% ! Obviously that is why Mac shut down.

So in my case it was necessary to calibrate the new battery. Maybe because the battery installed is "new" but my MacBook Pro is an older late 2011. It's functioning properly now.

Thank you,

B.

Mar 11, 2023 8:33 PM in response to bettyfromst. george

I'm glad it worked. Thanks for following up as it will help us assist other people plus anyone finding your thread will be informed as well.

I do recall some vendors recommended calibrating some batteries since the technology in even the older Lithium-ion batteries is a bit difference. I personally always like to charge a new battery to 100% and leave it there for a while before running the laptop on just battery especially since most batteries ship with less than 50% charge (best practice for storing a Lithium-ion battery and to minimize risk of accidental fire during shipping if the battery is damaged during shipping).

new battery installed on older MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.