Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Books is suddenly opening all my PDF's. How to stop?

Books is finding all of the PDFs on my iMac. I just want books to show the PDF files I add to books, not EVERYTHING. Because of this it is nearly impossible to manage my collections and select files to synchronize with my phone and iPad. I have looked and tried solutions already posted but none of them work. Changing which app opens pdf files does nothing (Preview is used for opening all my pdf files already). This is a very cumbersome problem for me. Hopefully someone has a real fix.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 11:46 AM

I have more than 500 pdfs on my computer. I explicitly added about 20 to iBooks. At some point, when I open books, ALL of the pdfs on my computer show up in the books app. This is something fairly new; I have been using books for years without this happening.

As to explaining how books is finding pdfs, I have no clue other than I see all of my pdfs in Books.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2023 11:46 AM in response to picas

I have more than 500 pdfs on my computer. I explicitly added about 20 to iBooks. At some point, when I open books, ALL of the pdfs on my computer show up in the books app. This is something fairly new; I have been using books for years without this happening.

As to explaining how books is finding pdfs, I have no clue other than I see all of my pdfs in Books.

Books is suddenly opening all my PDF's. How to stop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.