Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding memory to a new MacBook Air

I am thinking of getting new - or refurbished - MacBook Air; but I have previously run into issues with not having enough memory to do system updates/upgrades and there was no way to add additional memory "chips" to the machine. Will this continue to be an issue for newer machines - i.e., 2022 or later?

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 2:41 PM

Decide upon your MacBook Air's memory and storage configuration when you purchase it, because neither one can be changed later.

If you want to know "how much is enough" no one can answer that question for you because only you know what you are expecting to do with that Mac. All I can suggest is estimate how much storage and memory you are likely to require over its expected useful life, and then double your estimate.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2023 2:41 PM in response to NancyC

Decide upon your MacBook Air's memory and storage configuration when you purchase it, because neither one can be changed later.

If you want to know "how much is enough" no one can answer that question for you because only you know what you are expecting to do with that Mac. All I can suggest is estimate how much storage and memory you are likely to require over its expected useful life, and then double your estimate.

Adding memory to a new MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.