Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restoring iPhone backup to a phone with less storage

My SE2 is 128 gig. Its broken. I am trying to use the older Xr 64Gig in the meantime. I want to restore all my apps and settings to the Xr but it won't do it from Restore my backup as it has significantly less storage. Is there a way to do this?

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 6:44 PM

4 replies

Mar 10, 2023 6:53 PM in response to scotty Ferg

"restoring iPhone backup to a phone with less storage: My SE2 is 128 gig. Its broken. I am trying to use the older Xr 64Gig in the meantime. I want to restore all my apps and settings to the Xr but it won't do it from Restore my backup as it has significantly less storage. Is there a way to do this?"

-------

How exactly is it "broken"? Does it not boot up? Or is there physical damage?

Restore to Factory Settings:

You could, back up when need be, and then set this to factory defaults, as if you were to sell it. Perform as instructed here, including the backup creation and iCloud logout: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support. Import items from the reset there.

Mar 10, 2023 8:07 PM in response to scotty Ferg

scotty Ferg Said:

"Thank you but No I don't want to reset to factory. I want to restore as much as the new phone can hold but most importantly I want the contacts, the calendars, the mail settings, the currently used apps."

-------

Thanks for clarifying your post.

Factory Reset is the Way to Go:

Migration Assistant is not the same for an iPhone. So, you'd have to do as I instructed above, pretty much transferring it over manually after a new reset.

restoring iPhone backup to a phone with less storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.