Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop synchronization of photos between devices.

Can i stop synchronization of photos between iPhone and iPad? Both iCloud and iPhone have plenty of storage but Ipad almost out of storage.

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 11:06 PM

The main purpose of iCloud Photos is to keep the devices synced and the Photos Libraries on your devices identical. As long as you are using iCloud Photos on your iPad all photos and videos from your iCloud Photos Library will be be synced to the iPad.

To solve the storage problem on the iPad you have these options:

• Turn on "Optimize iPad Storage" in the Settings > AppleID > iCloud > Photos, if you have not yet done so. Then iCloud will replace some of the high resolution originals by smaller, optimised versions to save storage on your iPad. (Use iCloud Photos on iPad – Apple Support (UK))
  • Or keep only selected photos in iCloud. I am keeping only the photos in iCloud Photos that I really want to appear on all my devices - my absolute favorites. This way I always having access to my most important photos, and my devices with less storage will not be bogged down by too many photos and videos. On the iPhone and iPad it is easier to work with the photos anyway, if the library is small - much less scrolling.
  • Or turn off iCloud Photos on the iPad and sync it manually with a computer. Then you can sync selected albums to the iPad. Sync photos between your Mac and iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2023 11:06 PM in response to Pattios

The main purpose of iCloud Photos is to keep the devices synced and the Photos Libraries on your devices identical. As long as you are using iCloud Photos on your iPad all photos and videos from your iCloud Photos Library will be be synced to the iPad.

To solve the storage problem on the iPad you have these options:

• Turn on "Optimize iPad Storage" in the Settings > AppleID > iCloud > Photos, if you have not yet done so. Then iCloud will replace some of the high resolution originals by smaller, optimised versions to save storage on your iPad. (Use iCloud Photos on iPad – Apple Support (UK))
  • Or keep only selected photos in iCloud. I am keeping only the photos in iCloud Photos that I really want to appear on all my devices - my absolute favorites. This way I always having access to my most important photos, and my devices with less storage will not be bogged down by too many photos and videos. On the iPhone and iPad it is easier to work with the photos anyway, if the library is small - much less scrolling.
  • Or turn off iCloud Photos on the iPad and sync it manually with a computer. Then you can sync selected albums to the iPad. Sync photos between your Mac and iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

How to stop synchronization of photos between devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.