Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Squeaky Clean Install of Ventura 13.2.1?

Hi:

Our new Mac Studio suddenly started acting really squirrely about a week ago, crashing “reliably” within 30” to 5’ of restarting every time with a “Your computer was restarted because of a problem” error after 6 months of flawless service.

I didn’t change or update any software (but who knows what happened in the background?).

I set up a test partition with a clean install of Ventura and it ran perfectly from that, so am thinking it is a software issue.

I’ve migrated all the contents from a 7 yo iMac, and then a 5 yo iMac before that, so there are tons of “junk” on the computer.

I’d like to do a complete wipe of the hard drive and reinstall Ventura from scratch. After that point I’ll reinstall the useful apps one by one. Hopefully then we’ll end up with a stable computer without all the accrued software detritus.

Here’s the rub: it is the family computer with 8 log ons. How do I do this wipe and reinstall, yet preserve the 8 log-ons, and each user’s photos and documents, while keeping unwanted software from tagging along for the reinstall?

I guess I could figure out how to drag the “Documents” and “Desktop” folders for each user from the backup, and then figure out how to copy all their photos and music as well. What else do I need to think about? Is there an easy way to do this? Ideas?

Many thanks!!!

Mac Studio, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 2:17 PM

It is in principle very simple to restore some normalcy, and it does not require reinstalling the OS completely, because the OS itself is in a sealed read only partition.

1) Make two backups of your data, at least of them in the form of a Time Machine

2) In System Settings->General, click Transfer or Reset, then Click "Erase All Content and Settings..."

3) After the system restarts (as if it were starting for the first time), you will be asked if you want to transfer your data. Choose "From another mac, drive or Time Machine backup"; and NOW VERY IMPORTANT: transfer ONLY the user accounts that you want, and do NOT transfer "applications", "settings" or "other files".

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2023 2:17 PM in response to CharPatton

It is in principle very simple to restore some normalcy, and it does not require reinstalling the OS completely, because the OS itself is in a sealed read only partition.

1) Make two backups of your data, at least of them in the form of a Time Machine

2) In System Settings->General, click Transfer or Reset, then Click "Erase All Content and Settings..."

3) After the system restarts (as if it were starting for the first time), you will be asked if you want to transfer your data. Choose "From another mac, drive or Time Machine backup"; and NOW VERY IMPORTANT: transfer ONLY the user accounts that you want, and do NOT transfer "applications", "settings" or "other files".

Mar 12, 2023 4:58 AM in response to CharPatton

On a Multi User Account Setup, I am not sure if Migrating ONLY an known Non Polluted Account ADMIN would work ?

Then, in that specific account, create the additional accounts ONLY.

Allow them to commence Rebuilding the account with the Software that s required to become functional again.

Links below

Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Mar 12, 2023 4:13 AM in response to CharPatton

Q - " Once I had ruled out a hardware issue I just booted up in the problematic OS, and had enough time to click the "-" button in Disk Utility when "test" was selected and the test volume/partition is now gone. So (I think) I am back to my (broken) baseline. "

A - Just to be on the Safe Side

A - Would to run the Terminal Command below and post back the text output

diskutil apfs list

A - While at it - a screen shot from Disk Utilities >> View >> Show ALL Devices ( preferred without Externals Attached )

image below as example

Mar 11, 2023 2:04 PM in response to CharPatton

Q - " I set up a test partition with a clean install of Ventura and it ran perfectly from that, so am thinking it is a software issue."

A - Partition or Volume that may complicate this on Apple Silicon Computer.

A - A Volume can be removed from Disk Utilities but a Separate Partition my require Nuking the Entire Drive to gain back the Space as Usable again

Mar 11, 2023 4:22 PM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Unfortunately, I am not computer sophisticate so some/much of your reply goes over my head.

Once I had ruled out a hardware issue I just booted up in the problematic OS, and had enough time to click the "-" button in Disk Utility when "test" was selected and the test volume/partition is now gone. So (I think) I am back to my (broken) baseline.

But I am still wondering whether there is an automated way to "clean install" after a whole disk erase my 8 log ons and all the personal info for each user but NOT any applications or system software??? Or do I need to figure a way to do this manually? (As I understand it, if I use migrate or restore options from my backup disk, this will indeed put all 8 log-ons back on and all the personal data, but will also copy any "problematic" system software back over as well :( )

Much appreciated.

PS I also tried the Studio Mac with all external devices except the keyboard and monitor disconnected, and a reinstall of Ventura but without a wipe of extraneous system/applications software, all to no avail.

Mar 13, 2023 1:49 PM in response to CharPatton

To compare

Below

diskutil apfs list

APFS Containers (3 found)

|

+-- Container disk3 127E50BD-2D64-4B02-9371-E65320035185

====================================================

APFS Container Reference:     disk3

Size (Capacity Ceiling):      494384795648 B (494.4 GB)

Capacity In Use By Volumes:   28640227328 B (28.6 GB) (5.8% used)

Capacity Not Allocated:       465744568320 B (465.7 GB) (94.2% free)

|

+-< Physical Store disk0s2 0B0021D3-AB20-47B7-818F-68ACC7769640

|   -----------------------------------------------------------

|   APFS Physical Store Disk:   disk0s2

|   Size:                       494384795648 B (494.4 GB)

|

+-> Volume disk3s1 F2658F62-F02D-4AD4-929E-00307C204B6B

|   ---------------------------------------------------

|   APFS Volume Disk (Role):   disk3s1 (System)

|   Name:                      Macintosh HD (Case-insensitive)

|   Mount Point:               Not Mounted

|   Capacity Consumed:         8946552832 B (8.9 GB)

|   Sealed:                    Yes

|   FileVault:                 No (Encrypted at rest)

|   |

|   Snapshot:                  7F83C60F-C7FE-4E03-B88A-AF338EA2B683

|   Snapshot Disk:             disk3s1s1

|   Snapshot Mount Point:      /

|   Snapshot Sealed:           Yes

|

+-> Volume disk3s2 0219C089-6C94-4617-A477-80DD00886DED

|   APFS Volume Disk (Role):   disk3s2 (Preboot)

|   Name:                      Preboot (Case-insensitive)

|   Mount Point:               /System/Volumes/Preboot

|   Capacity Consumed:         4833214464 B (4.8 GB)

|   Sealed:                    No

|   FileVault:                 No

|

+-> Volume disk3s3 0B9D2868-9DCD-4CE5-B709-8C2167BB87A4

|   APFS Volume Disk (Role):   disk3s3 (Recovery)

|   Name:                      Recovery (Case-insensitive)

|   Mount Point:               Not Mounted

|   Capacity Consumed:         786108416 B (786.1 MB)

|   FileVault:                 No

|

+-> Volume disk3s5 C06FDD00-7C0A-46ED-8656-C80A91560802

|   APFS Volume Disk (Role):   disk3s5 (Data)

|   Name:                      Data (Case-insensitive)

|   Mount Point:               /System/Volumes/Data

|   Capacity Consumed:         13908729856 B (13.9 GB)

|   FileVault:                 No (Encrypted at rest)

|

+-> Volume disk3s6 76A39862-78F5-4E9A-98F6-41B9CCCD4E92

---------------------------------------------------

APFS Volume Disk (Role):   disk3s6 (VM)

Name:                      VM (Case-insensitive)

Mount Point:               /System/Volumes/VM

Capacity Consumed:         20480 B (20.5 KB)

Sealed:                    No

FileVault:                 No

p.phillips@Ps-MacBook-Air---M2 ~ % 

Squeaky Clean Install of Ventura 13.2.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.