Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble changing the name of the homefolder

Hi,

I want to change the home folder to just my first name. Since I do a lot of screen sharing and remote work I don't think it is necessary that people see my last name and it saves typing. However, when I tried this via Settings - Users and Groups - right-click my name - Advanced Options - Home folder - either changing the name or choosing an existing folder on the /Users the whole settings just get stuck.

Sometimes I get a prompt with 'for this, you need to restart your computer' and when I hit 'okay' it doesn't restart. If I want to restart manually, system settings prevent this. The only option is to forcefully shut down system settings.

Can someone help? What should I do? See here when I press okay (it's Dutch, my native language): https://imgur.com/a/lQRtwm2

MacBook Air, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 1:31 PM

Hi.

You’ll need to do this from another user account.

Try changing the name of the username folder stored in your User folders first, then changing user and group settings.

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 11, 2023 5:55 PM in response to imKim_02

Make sure to carefully read the instructions @John_DieHard provided as every step is critical for success. You must make several changes.

Also, make sure to have a good backup before doing anything just in case you make a mistake and get lose access to your data. As long as you have another admin user account, then you should be able to recover from most mistakes as long you did not delete anything.

Trouble changing the name of the homefolder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.