Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are some angles black when I skim my multicam clip on the timeline?

I created a multicam clip and worked in the angle editor to get everything synced. When I put the multicam clip on the project timeline and skim through it, most of the angles are black. I tried deleting all the proxy files and reloading the library. I tried closing FCPX and rebooting my MacBook. I tried exporting the project to XML and importing it back in. None of those actions fixed the issue.

I'm using a second monitor arrangement so here are 4 screen caps. The first two show the angle editor with the playhead at 00:01:10, showing five angles. The next two show the project timeline with the playhead at 00:01:10, and only two angles are showing. (The multicam clip is landscape and the project in portrait. The source is screen recording of a video game. The target project is a video for phone-based social media.)

MacBook, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 5:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 9:20 AM

This does sound like a bug. Please report it via Final Cut Pro>Provide Final Cut Pro Feedback...  or this link Feedback - Final Cut Pro - Apple

Similar questions

10 replies

Mar 11, 2023 6:02 PM in response to JohnnyRollerfeet

When you edit your multicam clip into the timeline initially, only one angle is showing. So, you'll only see content where there is media in the same location in the angle editor. As is, if you switch angles you'll see different content in different locations along the multicam clip in the timeline.

What you need to do is to do switching of angles, which creates edit points in the multicam clip in the timeline. You do this by changing angles by clicking an angle in the angle viewer. If you hold the option key and click another angle, the entire portion of the clip under the playhead will switch to the new angle without adding an edit point. You can also switch only video, or both audio and video. There are keyboard shortcuts for doing a lot of this, as well...

In a typical scenario, you edit the multicam clip into a timeline. Then, you start playback and switch (cut to) angles as you go along. You can then go back and change angles on each newly created clip in the multicam.

The user manual is helpful, or you might want to view some videos...

Mar 11, 2023 6:59 PM in response to JohnnyRollerfeet

The only time I recall multicam angles going black is when we used GoPro H265 footage. I think all we did was quit and relaunch FCP, but it sounds like you've tried that. If you make an edit to an angle that shows black, does the edit display accurately in the timeline?

Have you tried resetting FCP prefs? We don't use multiple monitors so I don't know if this will mean resetting your monitor layout with FCP.

Whenever FCP crashes or starts acting strangely an easy thing to try is resetting preferences. Hold option and command while launching FCP and choose Delete Preferences. It will open the default Untitled library. Re-open the library you were working on, set the preferences back to the way you like them (disable background rendering, reset Import to Leave Files in Place, etc.) and see if the issue has been resolved.

Mar 11, 2023 7:12 PM in response to Davis_

There are two viewers in the right screen. The one on the right shows the active angle of the multiclip. The one on the left should show all the angles of the multicam clip. Regardless of whether I'm skimming the multiclip editor or the project timeline, they should show those on the viewers screen.

You can see that the timeline viewer has all five rectangles and that two rectangles have the correct angle showing but the three top ones are black.

It may be easier to understand if you compare the screen shots of the viewers. The thumbnails in the angle viewer skimmer are the same just cropped differently, horizontally for the multicam editor, vertically for the timeline.

Mar 11, 2023 7:26 PM in response to JohnnyRollerfeet

I believe we understand things. I misspoke earlier. I see in your last screenshot that the top 3 angles in the angle viewer shouldn't be black. I agree with Terry that you might want to save your workspace layout, delete preferences, and try things all on one screen. Other than that, it looks like the top three angles are shifted "out of the frame" (or just missing).

Mar 11, 2023 7:46 PM in response to Davis_

Update:

With my workspace set to use one display, I created a simple, two angle MC clip. I then created a new project with a vertical aspect ratio. I opened the angle viewer and could see both angles.

I then switched to the "Dual Displays" workspace setting and opened the angle viewer again. The top row (both of my angles) showed black but the timeline was correct. I changed the angle layout via the Settings menu to another configuration (9 angles) and then back to 4 angles and the angles then appeared in the angle viewer. Seems like a UI glitch/bug (maybe to do with changing workspaces or that the Dual Display workspace isn't initially configured properly???)...

Mar 11, 2023 10:14 PM in response to Davis_

That's getting closer. As you suggested, when I switch to 4 angles then I can see 4 angles correctly. When I switch back to 9 angles, they go black again. I think this also has something to do with working on a vertical project. If I change the project to a horizontal project then all the angles show correctly but when I switch the project to vertical then they turn black again.

Why are some angles black when I skim my multicam clip on the timeline?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.