Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID for child

How do I set up a second apple ID for my child with 2 ipads but in different houses. My child is under 13 and already has an apple ID with his father but I want one for our child at my house.

iPad (9th generation)

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 8:55 AM

Here's a guide as to how to create a child's ID --> Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

The child will need a different email address from the one used for the other account.

Note that it is not possible to merge content from 2 IDs later. The child will have to retain access to both accounts and deal with the complexities of this.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2023 8:55 AM in response to Ayofemi48

Here's a guide as to how to create a child's ID --> Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

The child will need a different email address from the one used for the other account.

Note that it is not possible to merge content from 2 IDs later. The child will have to retain access to both accounts and deal with the complexities of this.

Mar 12, 2023 9:09 AM in response to Ayofemi48

As long as there are separate devices this is fairly simple.

Setup yourself as a family organizer.

Create a new AppleID for your child using a slightly different name (e.g. Jim vice James; Kate vice Kathryn)

Do NOT use a fictitious birthdate; it’s difficult to change later.

Then, setup the child’s device yourself. Pay VERY CAREFUL attention to the questions being asked.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

As a minimum, would suggest using Parental Controls (and Screen time) to prevent your child from changing his/her AppleID account settings or device passcode.)

Apple ID for child

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.