Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro M1 max: 4k @ 120hz?

I'm planning to get a LG C2 42" OLED as my primary monitor and use it for productivity work, programming and designing, I'm worried the macbook wont support HDMI 2.1 within a hight refresh rate. Does anyone know if I purchase a adapter like: or another one would work?

Anker USB C to HDMI Adapter (8K@60Hz or 4K@144Hz), 518 USB-C Adapter (8K HDMI), USB C to HDMI, for MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad Pro, Pixelbook, XPS, and More

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 4:26 PM

Check out this link for instructions on using an LG OLED C2 television with a Mac M1. I am using my LG OLED C2 55" with HDMI 2.1 and my Mac Studio M1 Max. Just follow the instructions. I am receiving 3840 x 2160P@120Hz with YCBCR444 8 bit color. You'll need to buy an adapter and download software on your Mac M1.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dp-usb-c-thunderbolt-3-4-to-hdmi-2-1-4k-120hz-rgb4-4-4-10b-hdr-with-apple-silicon-m1-m2-now-possible.2381664/

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2023 4:26 PM in response to fracazo

Check out this link for instructions on using an LG OLED C2 television with a Mac M1. I am using my LG OLED C2 55" with HDMI 2.1 and my Mac Studio M1 Max. Just follow the instructions. I am receiving 3840 x 2160P@120Hz with YCBCR444 8 bit color. You'll need to buy an adapter and download software on your Mac M1.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dp-usb-c-thunderbolt-3-4-to-hdmi-2-1-4k-120hz-rgb4-4-4-10b-hdr-with-apple-silicon-m1-m2-now-possible.2381664/

Mar 12, 2023 5:16 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Using this TV set as a monitor have advantages I can't see in other monitors, like OLED panel with a 4K resolution. I couldn't find any other monitor on the market right now that have these qualities:

1. High-quality display: The LG C2 42" OLED TV has a high resolution of 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) and an OLED panel, which provides excellent color accuracy, contrast, and deep blacks. This is particularly important for design work, where color accuracy is critical.
  2. Large screen size: The 42" screen size provides a large working area, allowing you to have multiple windows and applications open simultaneously. This can improve your productivity and make it easier to work on complex projects.
  3. Built-in features: The LG C2 42" OLED TV has several built-in features, including a range of connectivity options, multiple picture modes, and a customizable user interface. These features can enhance your work experience and make it more efficient.
  4. Viewing angles: OLED panels have a wider viewing angle than other types of displays, meaning that you can see the screen clearly from almost any angle. This can be particularly helpful if you need to collaborate with others or show your work to clients.
  5. Eye comfort: The LG C2 42" OLED TV has several features designed to reduce eye strain, including flicker-free technology and low blue light filters. This can help you work for longer periods without experiencing eye fatigue.

Any recommendations on monitors maybe I not seeing in the market?

PS* Primary use of the monitor will be for productivity work but secondary use will be to playing games on a PS5 outside of my working hours.

Mar 12, 2023 4:43 PM in response to fracazo

HDMI was invented for consumer TV sets, which is what the display you are proposing is -- a TV set, not necessarily a monitor-quality display. It is the bottom of a line that goes up to enormous 55, 65, 77, and 83-in room-sized TV sets.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled42c2pua

HDMI uses 5 volt signaling levels, so any adapter you buy for HDMI at these speeds will get burn-your-skin hot, and are more likely to fail easily. Getting it work work as a monitor will be difficult.

I suggest you consider different high quality Monitors, NOT TV sets, that have DisplayPort or Thunderbolt direct inputs. they will be easier to get working and will stay working without Drama.

Macbook Pro M1 max: 4k @ 120hz?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.