You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet vs wireless for HomePod Minis & Apple TV 4K

My Apple TV 4K 2nd gen is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable. A community member posted that it shouldn't matter whether this device is connected via ethernet cable or wirelessly for the successful connection of my 2 HomePod Minis to my Apple TV - as long as my "...router is configured to bridge the wired and wireless as one network." My internet service provider tech set up the router, and I am skeptical that he configured the router as you indicated. Is there an easy way to determine this? Secondly, the post continued that the "...connection between Apple TV and the HomePod mini speakers...is indifferent about the wired, wireless, or combination of both." I find this confusing. Can anyone clarify, i.e., is the Apple TV/HomePod Mini connection truly indifferent to the nature of the internet connection OR is it only indifferent IF the router bridges "...the wired and wireless as one network"? In other words, does the bridging of the router have to occur for the Minis to work? I have tried everything else (including multiple rounds of Apple phone support & many articles) with no luck. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can shed any light as to whether this wired/wireless issue is the likely reason why my 2 HomePod Minis (total of $300 CDN) only work as silent/useless bookends!!

HomePod mini

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 5:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 1:04 AM

it's impossible to say how it differ from router to router, most have a build in webserver where if you type in the ip address you got to a page where you handle all the configuration

if it was me then my first step would be to get some info from the isp

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 14, 2023 3:50 PM in response to Vancouver22

Your first sentence is what I had thought from the outset, i.e., "they do function best when on 'the same home wifi network.'" Given that my current set up is the Apple TV 4K connected NOT thru wifi (but thru ethernet cable), and my attempts to connect the HomePod Minis was wirelessly, this may explain the fact that they are not working (although I have since read multiple complaints about the set-up of these speakers). Regardless, given the replies to this post, I will bite the bullet and contact my ISP to finally determine if this is an issue or not. Thx for your response.

Ethernet vs wireless for HomePod Minis & Apple TV 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.