Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it normal behavior for AirPods to disconnect from Apple Watch when you return home?

I just returned from a walk listening to Spotify over cellular on my Apple Watch using Airpods. When I entered my home, AirPods played a chime and disconnected all on their own. The Spotify app indicated that the AirPods had connected to my iPhone.

Is it normal behavior for AirPods to connect to any device they choose for no reason? Is there some setting that makes them default to a nearby primary device even if it's not playing music? Is there a setting somewhere to ensure AirPods do not disconnect from the device that's actively being used to listen to music?

The TOPICS in the support forum need to be updated. THIS IS REGARDS TO AIRPODS.

AirPods Pro

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 9:50 AM

Yes, it's normal. AirPods will switch automatically from the watch to the paired iPhone when the iPhone is in range.

You can turn this feature off on the iPhone settings by following the steps in the support document linked below.

click here ➜ Switch your AirPods to another device - Apple Support

2 replies

Mar 13, 2023 10:42 AM in response to Phil0124

That article seems to suggest that if you're listening to something on one device then pick up another device to listen to something else, AirPods will intelligently switch from the first to the second.

This is not what happened in my case. In my case, AirPods switched from a device I was listening to to another device that was in another room, in a coat pocket, that hadn't been used for over 12 hours.

I would like AirPods to switch automatically if I'm listening on one device then pick up another device or when I'm listening to something on a device's speaker then put AirPods in. However, for testing, I'll disable this feature. 🤞

Is it normal behavior for AirPods to disconnect from Apple Watch when you return home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.