Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod 2 and mini in stereo?

I received and set up my new HomePod 2 today and was under the impression it couldn’t be paired up with a mini to use in stereo. I was quite surprised then to find that it paired up and worked well with my already current x2 HomePod mini setup. So I now have an amazing surround sound setup using the new Hompod 2 as a woofer.

All reviews I read and watched (up until last month) said it couldn’t be done. Is this something new Apple have introduced?

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 12:06 PM

You can Airplay to as many as you like of all three models but to stereo pair you need the same model. In my bedroom I have 2 minis paired, with one big HomePod I play to as well and it sounds very good. I think this is what you did?

6 replies

Mar 14, 2023 6:32 PM in response to Hysteria74

I never really use handoff but I’d assume it’s not going to go to all three speakers since they aren’t set up as a set. Or you might try putting them into a zone . See: Group rooms into a zone in Home on Mac - Apple Support. You can ask Siri to play to a zone or play everywhere to go to all HomePods.

to adjust volume, you can adjust it on one (manually or with Siri) if the playback had started on all three to begin with. I mostly use automations to start my music. I never really use the home app to control playback. It shows up in Lock Screen on my iPhone. I mostly just ask Siri. I use all three in my room for Apple TV and use the ATV Siri Remote to control volume. The Siri Remote can also be used as a HomePod remote if HomePods have been set up as the default audio on an Apple TV 4K. Again this will work on any HomePod if playback began on one as well as one or a pair that has the Apple TV 4K default audio setting applied.

Not sure I explained it very well.

Mar 14, 2023 4:20 PM in response to Hysteria74

Just wondering how do you find ease of use for your 3 HomePod’s setup?

For example is there a way to handoff some music from my iPhone to the HomePod 2 and then hear it come out of all 3 speakers simultaneously every time without having to manually add the other two mini HomePods via Airplay. I only have to do this if I’ve left the house and later came back in or I’ve switched my phone off at night then on in the morning. Other than that they stay paired.

Also how do you personally adjust the volume simultaneously for all 3 speakers on your set up. Is there a shortcut that you know of? So far I have to swipe down from the right, select Home or My Bedroom tile, go into that, then adjust the volume. Any other way just changes the volume on the HomePod that I initially handed off to.

If you’ve any advice or tips it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

HomePod 2 and mini in stereo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.