Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac randomly adjusts volume up

Since I upgraded to macOS Ventura, my iMac adjust volume up randomly (without me hitting any key).

How can I get rid of this?

I read somewhere that this happens sometimes in iMacs with Intel processors. And I also read that the function option+command+P+R after starting the computer should work. I tried twice and it didn't...

Interestingly it also happened before with the previous system software, but there the volume randomly adjusted down, and the bug didn't appear very often and disappeared after restart.

My iMac is from 2019 and has a 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5.

Best, Chris

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 2:15 PM

Try the following in order as needed:

1 - Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support (for Intel Macs) and Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support (for both types). Do it 2 - 3 times in succession.

2 - How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

3 - Boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac , reboot normally and test to see if the problem persists.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2023 2:15 PM in response to applemus1976

Try the following in order as needed:

1 - Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support (for Intel Macs) and Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support (for both types). Do it 2 - 3 times in succession.

2 - How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

3 - Boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac , reboot normally and test to see if the problem persists.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

iMac randomly adjusts volume up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.