Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it that my MacBook Pro from 2012 can not be fixed

Why is it that my MacBook Pro from 2012 can not be fixed by Apple

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 10:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 7:30 PM

Additionally, that model is the last one that is user accessible. I bought both more RAM and an SSD from macsales.com and installed them myself. Actually wish I had kept it - it was one of the best computers I've owned - a real workhorse.

7 replies

Mar 14, 2023 8:43 PM in response to FDu01

It could be something simple like the battery preventing the laptop from powering on. A depleted battery can easily prevent an Apple laptop from powering on. First try an SMC Reset and if that does not work, then remove the battery (assuming the non-Retina model....the Retina model you can only disconnect the battery) and try powering on the laptop. If this does not allow the laptop to power on, then it probably isn't worth repairing anyway. If the laptop powers on and works fine without the battery, then you may just need to replace the battery. Without the battery, there is a chance the fan(s) will run at high speed and a chance the laptop could run slow.

OWC or iFixIt would be the best options assuming you feel the cost is worth it. Keep in mind the hard drive (especially if original, but even a replacement) is likely worn out or failing...even if it is not, the drive will be extremely slow so consider an SSD upgrade from OWC or a Crucial MX500 (avoid the BX500) unless the laptop already has an SSD.

Anything else would cost much more and would not make economical sense. Even this is probably borderline depending on the situation.

Mar 14, 2023 7:19 PM in response to FDu01

If it is the non-Retina model and the problem is with the hard drive, then that can be replaced & upgraded with a third party SSD which also would increase performance. It may be worth the cost if the laptop is in otherwise good condition. Any other repair probably does not make sense economically.

There may be some independent repair shops willing to repair it, but they would need a tech familiar with Apple products. Keep in mind they will likely be installing used parts and have at least a $100 US labor fee. You also have to consider whether it is really worthwhile to put money into such an old laptop.

Why is it that my MacBook Pro from 2012 can not be fixed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.