Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add star-rating on a newly purchased song

I recently bought a song on iTunes. I have star-ratings on my iTunes library on the Mac enabled.

I have purchased other songs on the same day and I can star-rate them.

This particular one, the star are shown as "faded red" and cannot be selected, no matter the view.

I tried to remove the download and re-download the song, but I still cannot rate the song.

Yes, I have restarted the app, restarted macOS (13.2.1), and still it doesn't work.

Why can I star-rate other songs but not this particular one I purchased on the same day?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 11:01 AM

I fixed it - I deleted my Music folder altogether, restarted the music app, selected all the songs and removed all downloads (I don't keep my entire library downloaded on my Mac - I keep a separate copy of all my purchases elsewhere), did a "Update Cloud Library" from the File --> Library... menu and now that specific song can be star-rated.

It seem like a nasty Cloud library sync/cache bug.

On a side note - I have many songs that are either uploaded or matched (as reported in the Info section of each song), but their "cloud status" in the Songs view is blank. I've had that for several months now, so it is a persistent bug that nobody at Apple is looking at.

I guess if you just stream Apple Music (which seems to be the only focus now), you never see this issue...What is iTunes Match..?!? ;)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2023 11:01 AM in response to pakitt

I fixed it - I deleted my Music folder altogether, restarted the music app, selected all the songs and removed all downloads (I don't keep my entire library downloaded on my Mac - I keep a separate copy of all my purchases elsewhere), did a "Update Cloud Library" from the File --> Library... menu and now that specific song can be star-rated.

It seem like a nasty Cloud library sync/cache bug.

On a side note - I have many songs that are either uploaded or matched (as reported in the Info section of each song), but their "cloud status" in the Songs view is blank. I've had that for several months now, so it is a persistent bug that nobody at Apple is looking at.

I guess if you just stream Apple Music (which seems to be the only focus now), you never see this issue...What is iTunes Match..?!? ;)

Mar 14, 2023 10:53 AM in response to turingtest2

Unfortunately that is not the issue. I verified the permissions and re-applied to be sure to the entire "Music" folder and it still doesn't allow me to star-rate that particular song. If I right click I don't get the possibility to rate, vs a song I bought the same day, both downloaded, that I can rate and I can see the "rating" option when I right-click on it.

I also thought of removing the song from my library and then re-download/add it from the iTunes Store "purchases" but I don't have even the option to remove it from the library.

I am out of ideas.

Usually it is a caching issue. I buy a bunch of songs, and unless I restart the Music app, they cannot be rated or they are still shown as "Apple Music" although I bought them outright on the iTunes Store.

This one, is stubborn and doesn't want to change, even 10 days after purchase.

I wonder if I should remove the library and redownload it (I have my library in the Cloud).

Mar 14, 2023 11:10 AM in response to pakitt

iTunes Match is the predecessor to Apple Music. Your own songs and playlists match/upload in the same way, but you don't get to add tracks as you please from the catalog. Glad to hear you've resolved your issue. Too late now, but should it happen again you could try holding down option+cmd as you launch Music which opens it in safe mode and can sometimes fix weird oddities.

tt2

Mar 14, 2023 11:33 AM in response to turingtest2

Also, with Apple Music “match” if you delete a song on your Mac you matched and then re-download it, you get a DRM Apple Music version, not the one you started with. With iTunes Match you always get a DRM free version.

iTunes Match is still available in some hidden iTunes Store hidden menu. My husband had to re-enable it after many years not using it, and found it “hiding” in the account settings of the iTunes Store (accessed with the Mac Music app).

Mar 14, 2023 11:53 AM in response to pakitt

In the early days Apple Music might match something you owned, but download it to another computer with DRM. You no longer need both services, although Apple Music's hi-res tracks add a new complication, because they will stop working if you cancel your sub, so you need to ensure you've always got or can redownload your lower res originals before you close out the subscription.

tt2

Cannot add star-rating on a newly purchased song

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.