Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro 16" is very slow from one day to another.

Hi there,

my MacBook pro 16`is very slow from one day to another.

The Activity Monitor shows that the kernel_task has a very high cpu usage. (see screenshot)

What I tried so far:

• Did a clean install of OSX Ventura (before Monterey was installed)
  • Installed a fan control software: fans are working (computer is running very silent)
  • Cleaned the fans
  • Checked the temperature of the cpu: 37 C (seems ok, right?) (see screenshot)
  • Did a SMC and VRAM reset. (several times)
  • Installed a Virus Scan Tool (found nothing)
  • runned être check (see être check text file)

what could it be? I would be so grateful if you could help me.

Thanks a lot for every hint!

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 1:23 AM

After trying many things, I found a solution that worked for me.

I installed MacOs Catalina (I had Monterey/Ventura before) to remove the "IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext" from extensions, but unfortunately it was not possible to rename/remove it even in this older MacOs Version. So I followed this instruction (it was for Big Sur but worked for Catalina as well …) https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/372684/how-to-delete-kexts-in-catalina

maybe this helps someone …

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2023 1:23 AM in response to gschill

After trying many things, I found a solution that worked for me.

I installed MacOs Catalina (I had Monterey/Ventura before) to remove the "IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext" from extensions, but unfortunately it was not possible to rename/remove it even in this older MacOs Version. So I followed this instruction (it was for Big Sur but worked for Catalina as well …) https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/372684/how-to-delete-kexts-in-catalina

maybe this helps someone …

Mar 15, 2023 5:56 AM in response to gschill

Hi

The kernel task is a system process designed to protect your Mac from a process that is using excessive resources. the kernel pretends to use it to stop the other process from hogging your CPU. you do not need to fix the kernel task, instead find the problem the kernel task is protecting you from

if this issue continues after a reinstall it is not the macOS, so its time to look at 3rd party apps/extensions

I would recommend Time Machine before going any further

Disconnect everything from your Mac including the external monitor - remove the following apps iScherlokk , and the fan monitoring app too

then restart you Mac - if have other user account test in there too - if not create a test one

Mar 15, 2023 7:26 AM in response to hercules-king

Thank you very much for your reply.

I removed Sherlock and the fan control app and a restart, but the cpu usage is high like before (it had been already high before I installed the 3rd party apps).

I did a clean install, so there is no external software on the MacBook anymore. Even no data files any more … so I don’t need a Time Machine backup - nothing to loose :-)

I created a new user account and after five minutes the kernel task was there again. The system needed from the beginning 63 %.

when I switched of the MacBook for a short time the background of the monitor was disrupted, could it be a graphic card error? How can I check this?

the Apple Hardware Test is not working, the connection to the internet fails.

thank you for any tips

My MacBook Pro 16" is very slow from one day to another.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.