Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use USB or Firewire to connect my current Mac mini to a new one to migrate data?

Can I use a usb or fire wire too connect current Mac mini that is using screen, keyboard , mouse and Comcast wi fi to migrate to my new Mac mini ?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 8:22 AM

During the initial new Mac Setup, Migration will look for the other Mac on the Ethernet connection to Migrate from.

If you have already missed that boat and setup the new Mac, then you will need to establish the Ethernet connection using the Network Preferences/Settings

If you have already setup the new Mac mini, then your options are:

1. erase the new Mac mini and start over.
  2. establish an Ethernet connection and then use Migration Assistance in the new Mac mini’s Utility folder.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2023 8:22 AM in response to Randy Hooton

During the initial new Mac Setup, Migration will look for the other Mac on the Ethernet connection to Migrate from.

If you have already missed that boat and setup the new Mac, then you will need to establish the Ethernet connection using the Network Preferences/Settings

If you have already setup the new Mac mini, then your options are:

1. erase the new Mac mini and start over.
  2. establish an Ethernet connection and then use Migration Assistance in the new Mac mini’s Utility folder.

Mar 15, 2023 10:04 AM in response to Randy Hooton

The most reliable and quick way to migrate is to use a backup drive. see this Apple Knowledgeable article: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Everyone needs a backup - computers fail and today with our computers hold contact information, photos and videos, music, etc, a drive failure is catastrophic. The fact that we can use this TimeMachine backup to move to a new computer is an added plus. It is fast and reliable.

Mar 15, 2023 8:36 AM in response to Randy Hooton

lease rewrite your question(s) for better clarity. What specifically are you wanting to 'migrate'? If you wish to use your existing keyboard and mouse, then just connect them to the new computer using a USB cable and port on the computer. When you set up the new computer, you select the Wi-Fi network in System Settings. If Comcast is your email provider, then use the Mail app to set up an account in the new computer. Better yet, you clearly need assistance, so I suggest you get some help.

Can I use USB or Firewire to connect my current Mac mini to a new one to migrate data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.