Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find a keychain password I forgot?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 9:27 AM

It's possible that the file got corrupted with the permissions set to Read Only or it is trying to save the file in a Read Only location. I'm not sure where the keychain password comes in. The most likely reason is that permission has not been given to save the file in the location it is trying to save it to. TurboTax usually asked permission to save files in your Documents Folder. You can check that permission by going to System Settings > Privacy & Security > Files and Folders. Find TurboTax in the list and click on the disclosure triangle to reveal the permission to allow saving to the Documents Folder. Make sure it is turned on.

Other than that, make sure to save in the Documents folder. You can also save it in a folder inside the Documents folder.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2023 9:27 AM in response to Teddybear727

It's possible that the file got corrupted with the permissions set to Read Only or it is trying to save the file in a Read Only location. I'm not sure where the keychain password comes in. The most likely reason is that permission has not been given to save the file in the location it is trying to save it to. TurboTax usually asked permission to save files in your Documents Folder. You can check that permission by going to System Settings > Privacy & Security > Files and Folders. Find TurboTax in the list and click on the disclosure triangle to reveal the permission to allow saving to the Documents Folder. Make sure it is turned on.

Other than that, make sure to save in the Documents folder. You can also save it in a folder inside the Documents folder.

Mar 15, 2023 8:54 AM in response to Teddybear727

1. Open "Keychain Access" either by looking in the Utilities folder or by clicking the search icon in the menu bar and typing in Keychain Access.
  2. Use the search field to search for the User ID of the password you forgot. You can search "Login" or "iCloud" by selecting which one in the sidebar.
  3. Double click the keychain you want to find the password to.
  4. Click "Show Password" and enter your credentials and the password will be visible.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.