Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend an existing Wireless Network

Greetings!

I've recently upgraded my Wi Fi hardware to take advantage of the greater security and speeds available. I replaced a 2017-era Airport Time Capsule (the last model available) with a TP-Link Archer AX1800 Wi FI 6 router. Since the TC actually still works, and has a 2 TB HDD, I'd like to be able to still make use of the storage. The problem I am having is I can't get the TC to connect to and extend the wireless network of the TP-Link.

I've reset the TC to factory defaults a few times, but when I choose the option to "join an existing network" it dumps me right back into the "create a new network" screen of Airport Utility. Even when I set the TC up as a wireless base station then change the settings to join an existing network it doesn't connect, and apparently doesn't even see the existing network.

I thought it might be the security settings on the TP-Link. I had it set to WPA3/WPA2 Personal, so I changed it to WPA/WPA2 Personal with no luck.

The TC has the latest firmware, and so does the TP-Link. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Time Capsule

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 12:45 PM

The TC cannot connect to the Wi-Fi signal provided by the TP-Link router using only a Wi-Fi connection.

But, even if it could.......(it can't)......the TC would not be able to to "extend" the Wi-Fi signal provided by the TP-Link router.

To connect the TC to the TP-Link network, you will need to connect an Ethernet cable from an Ethernet port on the TP-Link router to the "O" port on the TC and set up the TC to provide a Wi-Fi network that uses the exact same wireless network name, same security settings, and same password as the TP-Link router.

That Ethernet cable connection must be maintained at all times.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2023 12:45 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

The TC cannot connect to the Wi-Fi signal provided by the TP-Link router using only a Wi-Fi connection.

But, even if it could.......(it can't)......the TC would not be able to to "extend" the Wi-Fi signal provided by the TP-Link router.

To connect the TC to the TP-Link network, you will need to connect an Ethernet cable from an Ethernet port on the TP-Link router to the "O" port on the TC and set up the TC to provide a Wi-Fi network that uses the exact same wireless network name, same security settings, and same password as the TP-Link router.

That Ethernet cable connection must be maintained at all times.

Mar 15, 2023 4:10 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

There is a tremendous advantage to using an Ethernet cable to set up the TC to extend your existing network. Specifically, there is no signal speed loss at all through the Ethernet connection.

IF....the TC could "extend a wireless network" using only a Wi-Fi connection, about half of the potential speed on the network is lost in the process.

Extend an existing Wireless Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.