Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail suddenly stopped opening on my Macbook Air.

Mail suddenly stopped opening on my Macbook Air. It's working on my iPhone, iPad and in iCloud. I've tried force quitting, restarting, updating everything. Nada. Help please.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 4:28 PM

Thank you very much for the response! I'm sorry for the rate response. I appreciate that you find I'm helpful!

This could be a bug in macOS. Use the instructions to troubleshoot the Mail app.

Boot into safe mode.

1. Restart your MacBook Air
  2. Hold the "Shift" key until you see the Apple logo appear or you hear a chime.
  3. Open Mail

Try this if the method above does not work.

Check if Mail is in Applications.

1. Open Finder
  2. Click the Applications Folder
  3. If mail is their move to the next method. If not, do step 4.
  4. Search where Mail could be. Once found, move to applications.

Reinstall MacOS (Not Recommended)

Warning: This could result in data loss, not likely though. If you wish to not do this contact Apple Support or set up a Genius Bar Appointment.

1. Restart Macbook Air
  2. Press and hold Command + R
  3. Release when Apple logo is seen or a chime is heard.
  4. If asked, enter password.
  5. Click "Reinstall macOS (version)"

Thanks,

Wolfz

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2023 4:28 PM in response to Woolybon

Thank you very much for the response! I'm sorry for the rate response. I appreciate that you find I'm helpful!

This could be a bug in macOS. Use the instructions to troubleshoot the Mail app.

Boot into safe mode.

1. Restart your MacBook Air
  2. Hold the "Shift" key until you see the Apple logo appear or you hear a chime.
  3. Open Mail

Try this if the method above does not work.

Check if Mail is in Applications.

1. Open Finder
  2. Click the Applications Folder
  3. If mail is their move to the next method. If not, do step 4.
  4. Search where Mail could be. Once found, move to applications.

Reinstall MacOS (Not Recommended)

Warning: This could result in data loss, not likely though. If you wish to not do this contact Apple Support or set up a Genius Bar Appointment.

1. Restart Macbook Air
  2. Press and hold Command + R
  3. Release when Apple logo is seen or a chime is heard.
  4. If asked, enter password.
  5. Click "Reinstall macOS (version)"

Thanks,

Wolfz

Mar 15, 2023 2:47 PM in response to Woolybon

Hey, Woolybon!

Is there any error on screen, As you might imagine this is not a very common problem. We need all the info you got! Please provide any more details. I can see that you have a MacBook Air 13" with macOS 12.6 (Monterey). What year is the MacBook Air? You can view this by clicking the  icon at the top left screen, Then click "About This Mac".

Regards.

Mar 15, 2023 3:30 PM in response to DrWolfz

My 13” MB Air is a 2017 version running MAC OS 12.6.3. I'm all Apple and have used their Mail app since the dark ages and never had this kind of problem. To clarify a couple of things:

1) I used the wrong verb… my Mail won’t load; it thinks it's open. It's icon is sitting in the dock with a little dot under it. There is no error message. There is just no response when I click the icon to Open it. I have quit it. I have force quit it. I have to turned off my MacBook and walked away from the thing. I know computers sometimes need a little quiet time to recoup themselves. But nothing changes.

2) Again, Mail on my iCloud account is working fine. Same for on my iPhone and iPad ( where I’m replying to you now).

3) Mail was working fine until Monday, mid-day, when it stopped loading new mail and sending. I was about ready to quit for the day anyway so I just left it alone. But I've been trying to figure it out since yesterday morning.

Thanks very much for anything you can suggest that might help.

Mar 15, 2023 5:16 PM in response to DrWolfz

Thank you so much Dr. Wolfz. I will try the first method tomorrow. I've already done the second and Mail is in Applications. I really don’t want to risk the third, so I’ll talk with the Apple Store folks if your first suggestion doesn’t work. I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes. Again, thanks for your help.

Mail suddenly stopped opening on my Macbook Air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.