Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16.3.1 iPhone 12 Pro - Emails are not being deleted from the Gmail server

Normally when I delete an email on my phone it's also deleted on the server (I use Gmail). Lately they are being deleted on my phone but not the server. If I check my email on my home computer they're all in my Inbox. I have checked my settings and they seem to be correct. "On the server - Trash" is selected. Any ideas for a fix? Thanks.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 12:17 PM

Hi JonasGrumby,

For help with ensuring emails are and stay deleted, you can check the time interval for keeping deleted emails with the steps below found in the article here: Delete and recover emails in Mail on iPhone - Apple Support

"Decide how long to keep deleted emails

With some email clients, you can set how long deleted emails stay in the Trash mailbox.

1. Go to Settings  > Mail, then tap Accounts.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • If you’re using an iCloud email account: Tap iCloud, tap iCloud again, tap iCloud Mail, then tap iCloud Mail Settings.
    • If you’re using another email account: Tap your email provider, then tap your email account.

3. Tap Advanced, then tap Remove.

4. Select a time interval."

You can also test on a different Wi-Fi connection and try normal restart of your iPhone. Restart your iPhone

If the issue remains, test the steps here for removing and adding the account back to test: If you can’t send email on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Cheers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2023 12:17 PM in response to JonasGrumby

Hi JonasGrumby,

For help with ensuring emails are and stay deleted, you can check the time interval for keeping deleted emails with the steps below found in the article here: Delete and recover emails in Mail on iPhone - Apple Support

"Decide how long to keep deleted emails

With some email clients, you can set how long deleted emails stay in the Trash mailbox.

1. Go to Settings  > Mail, then tap Accounts.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • If you’re using an iCloud email account: Tap iCloud, tap iCloud again, tap iCloud Mail, then tap iCloud Mail Settings.
    • If you’re using another email account: Tap your email provider, then tap your email account.

3. Tap Advanced, then tap Remove.

4. Select a time interval."

You can also test on a different Wi-Fi connection and try normal restart of your iPhone. Restart your iPhone

If the issue remains, test the steps here for removing and adding the account back to test: If you can’t send email on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Cheers.

iOS 16.3.1 iPhone 12 Pro - Emails are not being deleted from the Gmail server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.