Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not enough space for system upgrade / Delete "Other Volumes" in macOS Big Sur

Hi,

I am trying to reinstall the latest version of macOS but couldn't because I only have 13GB of space left.

We can see that "Other Volumes" is taking a huge space, 104GB. I tried to delete/erase, none of these functions are working.

I did not use this computer for 2 years, bought in 2019. Since I am trying to sell it, I erased everything and reinstalled Big Sur. I prefer installing the latest version before giving to someone else.

I did erase and reinstall MacBook few times in the past but never encountered such issue.

Your help would be much appreciated if someone can tell me what to do. "Erase and Volume -" are both not functioning, appears to be grey. I did reinstall Big Sur twice already, erased everything before doing so. Still having the same issue.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 3:05 AM

There issue appears to that the User has 3 Macintosh HD - Data Volumes

The First Macintosh HD - Data Volume is showing /System/Volumes/Data. This is the One to Keep

Suggestion to Click the Second Macintosh HD - Data volume and check for the Mount Point appearing on the right side of Disk Utilities

It will probably show /Volume/Macintosh HD-Data

Do the same for the Third Macintosh HD - Data

If correct and the 2nd and 3rd Macintosh HD-Data do show as /Volume/Macintosh HD-Data they need to be removed

Very careful now and make user to choose the Second Macintosh HD -Data Volume and use he Minus - sign to remove that volume

Repeat for the Third Macintosh HD -Data Volume

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2023 3:05 AM in response to PM889

There issue appears to that the User has 3 Macintosh HD - Data Volumes

The First Macintosh HD - Data Volume is showing /System/Volumes/Data. This is the One to Keep

Suggestion to Click the Second Macintosh HD - Data volume and check for the Mount Point appearing on the right side of Disk Utilities

It will probably show /Volume/Macintosh HD-Data

Do the same for the Third Macintosh HD - Data

If correct and the 2nd and 3rd Macintosh HD-Data do show as /Volume/Macintosh HD-Data they need to be removed

Very careful now and make user to choose the Second Macintosh HD -Data Volume and use he Minus - sign to remove that volume

Repeat for the Third Macintosh HD -Data Volume

Not enough space for system upgrade / Delete "Other Volumes" in macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.