You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I copy Photolibrary from one Mac to another Mac?

I accidentally permanently deleted Photolibrary from my current Mac. I have my old Mac, last used in early-2020, updated with the operating system of the time, running Photos not iPhotos. I have the cable I used when I replaced it with my current Mac. Can I copy the Photolibrary from the old Mac to my current Mac? Can someone send the instructions?

Thank you.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 9:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 9:40 AM

To avoid permission issues, I would copy the library from the old Mac onto an external disk, where you enable the checkmark "Ignore ownership on this volume". This is described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Then connect the external volume with the copy of the library to your new Mac and drag it from there to the Pictures folder on your new Mac.

If you are using iCloud Photos and all your photos are in iCloud, it will be faster to create a new, empty Photos Library on your new Mac and make this new library your system Photos Library, then enable iCloud Photos and wait for the photos to sync to the ne Mac from iCloud.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 16, 2023 9:40 AM in response to jdfinch2000

To avoid permission issues, I would copy the library from the old Mac onto an external disk, where you enable the checkmark "Ignore ownership on this volume". This is described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Then connect the external volume with the copy of the library to your new Mac and drag it from there to the Pictures folder on your new Mac.

If you are using iCloud Photos and all your photos are in iCloud, it will be faster to create a new, empty Photos Library on your new Mac and make this new library your system Photos Library, then enable iCloud Photos and wait for the photos to sync to the ne Mac from iCloud.

Can I copy Photolibrary from one Mac to another Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.