Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating an External SSD

Bought an external SSD because it’s faster. My 2017 IMac is on Ventura 13.2.1, so I put the MacOS on the SSD.

When the recent update came out, my IMac updated fine, but the SSD snagged and won’t finish. Anything I can do to 1.) free up the SSD and 2.) complete the update?

All it says in about 6 languages is that my computer restarted because it has a problem.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 6:00 PM

You should be able toreinstall the OS without bothering your data.

Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2023 6:00 PM in response to JackGood

You should be able toreinstall the OS without bothering your data.

Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Updating an External SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.