Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Password

I forgot my iMac password, Not my Apple ID password. How can I reset the password for my iMac?

Earlier displays & monitors

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 4:31 PM

Okay, as I understand it, then, your Mac is set to automatically log you in at startup and you have forgotten your Admin user password.

The link below details how you would normally change your user password, but it does require that you remember the original. The automatic login can be canceller at System Preferences > Users & Groups, but you may be asked for your admin password to unlock the panel.

Change the login password on Mac - Apple Support

What Mac model and year do you have?

What macOS version are you running?

Find that info by clicking the  (Apple) menu at the top-left of your screen and then select About This Mac.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2023 4:31 PM in response to big_bir

Okay, as I understand it, then, your Mac is set to automatically log you in at startup and you have forgotten your Admin user password.

The link below details how you would normally change your user password, but it does require that you remember the original. The automatic login can be canceller at System Preferences > Users & Groups, but you may be asked for your admin password to unlock the panel.

Change the login password on Mac - Apple Support

What Mac model and year do you have?

What macOS version are you running?

Find that info by clicking the  (Apple) menu at the top-left of your screen and then select About This Mac.

iMac Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.