Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost emails

About a year ago, when my Mac updated, the emails from one of the email servers which feeds into my Mac mail application vanished, which also meant I lost all the emails as the settings automatically detected from the online server as well. I wasn't that bothered at the time. However I now need some files which were attachments on those emails.

My Macs have been backed up with time machine going back to 2016, but for some reason the Time Machine isn't giving me the options as on the back up files the 2016-2020 is under my old computer, name Mac Book Air, and even the first back up on this new (M1 MBP) is under a different computer file name for some reason. So the Time Machine gives me no options.

Thus either I need a way to find the mail folder on the backup files, on my external HD, or a way for Time Machine to recognise the previous backups.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 6:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 11:32 AM

If it's an IMAP account for exchange account configured with mail application , the mails are on server , however you might have deleted the account from Mac system preferences > internet accounts in old Mac , the same account with account credentials can be configured in new Mac see the articles .

Use your Internet accounts on Mac - Apple SupportUse your Internet accounts on Mac – Apple Support (AU)

Change Internet Accounts preferences on Mac - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › en-in › guide › mac-help › mac

Add an internet account - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › guide › mac-help › mac

Note : in case if you deleted the mails in trash , they are erased after 30 days and can't be recovered as a year has gone by .

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2023 11:32 AM in response to GCG81

If it's an IMAP account for exchange account configured with mail application , the mails are on server , however you might have deleted the account from Mac system preferences > internet accounts in old Mac , the same account with account credentials can be configured in new Mac see the articles .

Use your Internet accounts on Mac - Apple SupportUse your Internet accounts on Mac – Apple Support (AU)

Change Internet Accounts preferences on Mac - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › en-in › guide › mac-help › mac

Add an internet account - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › guide › mac-help › mac

Note : in case if you deleted the mails in trash , they are erased after 30 days and can't be recovered as a year has gone by .

Lost emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.